When you submit a final revised version of your at-home first draft quantum quiz, please remember that you must also submit a brief reflection on how your understanding improved from initial draft to revision.
So the complete Quizhome includes the original initial draft (that you completed at home and workshopped in class), the revision, and the brief reflection on how your understanding improved. Of course you may choose to submit only the original initial draft.
I’d like to make the following changes to QM for Weeks 14, 15, and 16. My intention is not to increase overall workload but rather re-arrange it a bit in a way that makes sense with the material. I’ll start with the changes, and then follow-up with anticipated workload implications.
The syllabus indicates that we will cover Ch. 3 in Week 14, Ch. 3 and Ch. 4 in Week 15, and Ch. 4 in Week 16. I’d like to keep to that, but arranged in the following way:
- Week 14 Tuesday: Ch. 3 lecture/discussion
- Week 14 Thursday: Ch. 3 lecture/discussion
- Week 15 Tuesday: Ch. 3 workshop
- Week 15 Thursday: Ch. 4 lecture/discussion
- Week 16 Tuesday: Ch. 4 lecture/discussion
- Week 16 Thursday: Ch. 4 workshop
Thus, problem sets would be rearranged in the following way:
- Week 14: NO QM PS due Fri. Feb. 1
- Week 15: QM PS#4 due Fri. Feb. 8 (12 problems instead of 8, all from Ch. 3)
- Week 16: QM PS#5 due Fri. Feb. 15 (12 problems instead of 8, all from Ch. 3)
- So, instead of 24 problems divided between 3 Problem Sets, we have 24 problems divided between 2 Problem Sets (and both Problem Set assignments will be available Week 4 Tuesday)
And, we would skip a week for a QM Quiz:
- Week 15: No QM Quiz
- Week 16: QM Quiz 4 (available Mon. Feb. 11) would cover Ch. 3
- Week 17: QM Quiz 5 (available Mon. Feb. 18) would cover Ch. 4
If you need to miss an in-class Qu¡xam! due to illness or other reason, please do the following:
- email me as soon as possible (in advance if possible, but as soon as you can in any case) – I do not need any details, but just notification that you are missing the quixam;
- take the quixam as an “at-home” quixam, using the same protocol as EM Quixam E1: use only the same resources you would be allowed to use for an in-class quixam, and limit yourself to 1 (continuous) hour;
- on the quixam, write in and sign a note certifying that you followed in-class quixam conditions as much as possible, e.g. “My signature below certifies that I only used those resources I would have been allowed to use had I taken this quixam in class, and that I limited myself to one continuous hour for completion”;
- submit your quixam at the very next class meeting you are able to attend (or have a classmate submit it for you).
Note: you will still be able to submit a Quixam Revision, as you would have been had you taken the Quixam in-class and are caught up on the corresponding PSN.
Please use the APLS link in the navigation bar to find information on resources for the Hidden Figures project (with an invitation to improve the resource list that is there), and also information about Instrument Seminar & Summaries.
Class Schedule (unless otherwise indicated, all class meetings in the Cave, *indicates deviation from standard schedule)
- Mon. Jan. 27, 9:30 – 11:30 (CAL): Qu¡xam! C2 & Workshop
- Mon. Jan. 27, 1 – 3: EM lecture/discussion (Qu¡xam! E1 revision due)
- Tue. Jan. 28, 9:30 – 11:30: QM lecture/discussion (Quizhome Q2 due)
- Tue. Jan. 28, 1 – 3: CM lecture/discussion
- Wed. Jan. 29, 9 – 1: APLS – Error Analysis Workshop & Instrument Seminar
- *Wed. Jan. 29, 6:30 – 8:30pm: Tutoring Time w/ Pyxie (moved from regular Fri. time)
- *Thu. Jan. 30, 9:30 – 11:30: QM lecture/discussion (Quiz Q3 first draft due for workshop discussion)
- Thu. Jan. 30, 12:30 – 2: EM workshop
- *Thu. Jan. 30, 2 – 3:30:
CM workshop OR Special Surfaces Activity for EM & CM students (depends on coverage during Tuesday’s CM lecture/discussion, stay tuned)
- Fri. Feb. 1, 9 – 10: Tutoring w/Krishna (video)
- Fri. Feb. 1, 2 – 5: Tutoring Time w/ Sheena
Fri. Feb. 1, 5 – 7: Tutoring Time w/ Pyxie (moved to Wed. Jan. 29 this week)
- Fri. Feb. 1, 7pm: CM PS#4, EM PS#4 CSS contributions due (no QM PS due this week)
- Sun. Feb. 3, 4 – 6: Tutoring Time w/ Slade
||Taylor 3.5, 4.1-4.5
||CM PS #4: 3.35, 3.36, 4.3, 4.4, 4.8, 4.9, 4.21
||Griffiths 2.4, 2.5
||EM PS#4: 2.50, 2.31, 2.34, 2.36, 2.49, 2.38, 2.43, 2.44
|3.1-3.6 Ch. 3 |
QM PS#4: 3.1&3.8, 3.2, 3.13, 3.14, 3.15, 3.16, 3.17, 3.18, 3.20, 3.22, 3.24, 3.25 (due in Week 15)
QM PS#5: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.8, 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 4.14, 4.15 (due in Week 16)
- EA Ch. 1 – 3 (skip 3.10)
- A: Franck-Hertz
- B: Speed of Light
- C: Gyroscope
||EA Ch. 4: All Quick-Checks, 4.1, 4.9, 4.15, 4.21, 4.23
- Reading Response Rotation assignments available at the PSAM Community folder, available by clicking here. Reading Response prompts are now condensed to two responses for each section or sub-section: Big Ideas (includes main physics concepts/ideas and major mathematical tools/formulas) and Big Questions (as before); the original prompts are available here.
Next week (week 4) I’ll be holding my tutoring hours Wednesday 6:30-8:30pm instead of Friday 5-7. Hope to see you there!
Because Pyxie has tutoring hours until 7pm on Fridays, the CSS submission due time is now moved to be from 6pm to 7pm.
A reminder that (in addition to tutoring hours in the QuaSR), there is PSAM specific tutoring in the Cave on Fridays from 2-5pm (Sheena) and 5-7pm (Pyxie) and Sunday 4-6pm (Slade).
For EM PS#3, please replace 2.26 with 2.28. I apologize for the confusion.