Our first class meeting of winter quarter will begin promptly at 9:30am on Monday January 7 in the CAL. Please arrive on time, ready to get started.
While we won’t have a quiz that morning, we will discuss a great deal of important logistical information about the upcoming quarter, as well as make some important decisions together. That afternoon, we will start right into our EM material.
Our class meeting schedule for that day will be:
- 9:30-11:30am (CAL): Mandatory first class meeting of quarter.
- 11:30am-1pm: Break.
- 1-3pm (Cave): 1st EM lecture/discussion.
In preparation for our first week of winter quarter, please look over the following:
I hope you continue to enjoy your winter break. I’m very excited to begin our upcoming work, and can’t wait to see you!
As we get closer to the start of winter classes, I would like to discuss our winter class meeting schedule.
This link takes you to a page which has three schedules on it:
- The first schedule is what we came up with in our look ahead to winter discussion at the end of fall quarter.
- The other two schedules are changes for consideration. All changes are just to Thursday’s schedule (so Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are identical in all three proposals).
- The second schedule just switches the morning session on Thursday with the first afternoon session. This would matter most to students who are registered for less than 16 credits, as you might not be able to adjust any other commitments you have scheduled. In your Winter Plan Survey, please discuss this. I won’t make any changes unless we have unanimous agreement that everyone could participate in this proposed schedule.
- The third schedule again affects just Thursday, but is a more radical set of changes. The changes are detailed just below the schedule, to emphasize them. These changes matter most to folks registered for less than 16 credits, but would have at least minor impacts on everyone in the program. Again, please discuss how these proposed changes might affect you in the Winter Plan Survey. And again, I won’t consider these changes unless we have unanimous agreement that everyone could participate in this proposed schedule.
Please complete the Winter Plans Survey by noon on Sunday January 6, which you can access by clicking here.
The survey asks you to confirm which parts of the program you are or are not taking. I have this information already from some of you, so I apologize for the redundancy. However, several of you were still unsure as of your evaluation conference, and I’d like to get the most up-to-date info I can, while also confirming what I already have in my records.
The survey also asks you to review the Proposed Winter Quarter Schedule, and discuss if the proposed changes being considered for Thursday are ok with you, or what problems they would cause for you.
There are also three open-ended questions (given below for your convenience). Please type up your responses in a separate document (which you should save), and then copy and paste your responses into the survey form. Please use very simple formatting.
- What are some of your areas of strength that you were able to demonstrate in fall quarter PSAM?
- What are some of your strengths that the structure of PSAM in fall quarter did not allow you to demonstrate or were not recognized by the assessments that faculty chose to use? Can you suggest structural changes we can make to PSAM that would let those strengths be recognized and/or support you to show those strengths?
- What are some specific areas for improvement that you would like to work towards during the upcoming quarter in PSAM?
Thank you for a good week of conferences. We wish the best of luck to those of you moving on to other work in winter. To all of you, we hope you have a merry holiday season and a Happy New Year!
For those of you staying in the program, I’ve
started to post some posted lots of materials for preparing for winter quarter. It’s a work in progress, and I’ll continue to add to it for a few days. But I wanted for those of you who want to get started to be able to do so. You can find that material here.
Exam Revisions are due 10am Mon. Dec. 10 to faculty offices (Brian: Sem II C3110, Krishna: Lab 2 3255)
Blank copies of Exams available here.
- Exam Revisions must follow Quiz Revision Guidelines, available here.
- Questions coded with 4 or 5 do not require revising.
- Questions coded with 0, 1, or 2 do require a revision.
- For DE and LA, you need only submit individual parts of question coded with 0, 1, or 2 (and subsequent parts that were affected by an error in a previous part).
- For MVVC, if any part of a question is coded with a 0, 1, or 2, the entire question must be revised (but of course you may just copy from parts coded with a 5 and do minor revisions for questions coded with 3 or 4). The exceptions are multiple-choice questions 1 and 3: you may revise just those parts of those multiple-choice questions you got incorrect (and see next bullet point).
- For multiple-choice and fill-in-the-blank type questions, revisions require explanations (even though explanations were not required for the original exam).
A reminder that we have a brunch potluck starting at 10am Thu. Dec. 6 (our final program meeting of fall quarter) in the Cave! Only a few of you have signed up to bring food and drink, but hopefully we’ll have a good spread even though the sign-up board in the Cave is sparse. Please also bring a cup, a dish, and flatware; faculty will provide paper and plastic versions for those of you who need them.
Please make sure to bring your copy of your Fall Quarter Wrapping Up document, so we can quickly review and update for any changes.
Our tentative schedule (we’ll start at 10am and end by 3:30pm, but please recognize that other times are approximate):
- 10am – 11am: Potluck + Celebration (we’ll eat all day, so make sure to bring enough food!)
- 11am – noon: Exam Revision Workshop – MVVC
- noon – 1pm: Exam Revision Workshop – DE
- 1pm – 2pm: Exam Revision Workshop – LA
- 2pm – 2:15pm: Break
- 2:15pm – 3:30pm: Winter Preview and Planning
Some reminders about upcoming due dates and activities (more details at Week 10 Schedule):
- Fri. Dec. 7, noon. Portfolios due to the Cave.
- Fri. Dec. 7, 11am-2pm. Tutoring time with Sheena, in the Cave, to work on Exam Revisions.
- Sun. Dec. 9, noon – 2pm. Tutoring time with Sheena, in the Cave, to work on Exam Revisions.
- Mon. Dec. 10, 10am. Exam Revisions due to faculty offices (Brian Sem II C3110, Krishna Lab 2 3255, slip under office doors if faculty not present).
- By 5pm the day before your Evaluation conference: post your peer-reviewed and revised Academic Statement and your Self-Evaluation via my.evergreen.edu and share them with faculty for faculty review.
- By your Evaluation Conference: submit your Student Evaluation of Faculty via my.evergreen.edu.
Blank copies of Week 10 Exams available below after exam administration.
- Exam Revisions due by 10am Mon. Dec. 10 to faculty offices (Brian Sem II C3110, Krishna Lab 2 3255, slip under office doors if faculty not present).
- Exam Revisions follow Quiz Revision Guidelines in terms of quality; for faculty to review an Exam Revision, the corresponding Problem Set Notebook must be essentially complete.