Please find the Week 2 Assignments by clicking on the links below:
Week 2 Class Meeting Schedule:
- Our schedule is nearly to its normal (the main exception is Monday morning).
- Mon. Oct. 1, 10am-noon, CAL: No Quiz today, but class meets. Bring your Problem Set Notebooks (PSNs) for PSN Check.
- Mon. Oct. 1, 1-3pm, CAL: MVVC. Bring Boas. Come with Big Math Ideas and your specific questions from the reading already written down.
- Tue. Oct. 2, 10am-noon, CAL: DE. Bring Boas. Come with Big Math Ideas and your specific questions from the reading already written down.
- Tue. Oct. 2, 1:30-3:30pm, CAL: LA. Bring Strang. Come with Big Math Ideas and your specific questions from the reading already written down.
- Wed. Oct. 3, 9-10:30am, Cave: MVVC (bring Boas).
- Wed. Oct. 3, 10:30am-noon, Cave: DE (bring Boas).
- Wed. Oct. 3, noon-1pm, Cave: Seminar (bring reading and writing prompt responses).
- Thu. Oct. 4, 10-11:30am, Cave: LA (bring Strang).
- Thu. Oct. 4, 12:30-4pm, CAL: All-Program Check-in; Math Lab.
Please find the Week 1 Assignments by clicking on the links below:
- You can find links to the Collaborative Solution Set assignments at the bottom of each of the pages linked above. (updated 9/25)
- You can find the slides from DE session 1W (that is, the session on Week 1 Wednesday) here, and in general such links will appear on the homework assignment page for the given week. (updated 9/26)
Some students have asked about getting email updates or notifications to the program website so that when new content is added, they receive an email or other notification. We have made such features available.
- You may opt to receive email reminders:
- Make sure you are logged in to this site, using the Log in link in the right hand sidebar or at the bottom
- Find subscribe2, either in the sidebar or at the bottom (depends on what kind of device you are using to access the website), where “You may manage your subscription options from your profile” with a link to your profile.
- Every time a post is added or updated, you will receive an email notification.
- If you use a compatible RSS feeder, there’s an Entries RSS feed under Meta in the right hand sidebar or at the bottom.
Please read the following for Week 1 (bring copies of Boas and Strang to class meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday as described in schedule):
- Differential Equations (DE): Boas 8.1 – 8.2
- Linear Algebra (LA): Strang Ch. 1
- Multivariable & Vector Calculus (MVVC): Boas 4.1, 4.3 – 4.4 (updated 9/23)
- All-Program Meeting (APM): Cronon, Only Connect (we’ll provide a paper copy in class on Monday, so no need to print out your copy); click here for Writing Prompts.
- We have a slightly non-standard schedule this week. * indicates sessions where you might not normally attend, but which we are asking you to attend for this first week. Please make your best effort to attend these meetings, and let us know if there is a problem.
- *Mon. Sep. 24, 10am-noon, Computer Applications Lab (CAL) Lab 2 1223A: First Class Meeting! Begins promptly at 10am. Bring your First Day Writing Assignment.
- *Mon. Sep. 24, 1-3pm, CAL: Second Class Meeting!
- *Tue. Sep. 25, 10am-noon, CAL: Third Class Meeting – getting started with Mathematica.
- *Tue. Sep. 25, 1:30-3:30pm, Lab 2 2238: More Mathematica + Reading Workshop (bring program text(s)).
- Wed. Sep. 26, 9-11am, Lab 1 054 (Cave): MVVC (bring Boas).
- Wed. Sep. 26, 11am-1pm, Cave: DE (bring Boas).
- Thu. Sep. 27, 10-11:30am, Cave: LA (bring Strang).
- Thu. Sep. 27, 12:30-4pm, CAL: APM (bring Only Connect and Writing Prompts response) & Math Lab.
Welcome to Physical Systems and Applied Mathematics. We are excited to begin our challenging work together. Important program information is available via the links below:
Sincerely, Brian and Krishna
Please read our Welcome Letter, which you can find using the navigation bar above or by clicking here.
You can find the First Day Writing Assignment using the navigation bar above or by clicking here.
Please complete our Student Survey by 6pm Friday September 21 so we can read your responses before our first class meeting. You can find the survey by clicking here.
Note: You can’t save your responses in the on-line survey form, so read the questions first, compose your responses in a separate file when needed, then copy and paste into the appropriate space on the form; please use simple formatting. We encourage you to keep a copy of your responses.
Our mandatory first class meeting begins promptly at 10:00 am Monday September 24 in Lab 2 room 1223A (the first floor of the Lab 2 building), which is the Computer Applications Lab (CAL). Registered students who will miss this meeting must contact faculty in advance.
We will have a somewhat non-standard first week of the program. We ask that all students, regardless of which part(s) of the program they’re taking, attend class both in the morning and the afternoon on the Monday and Tuesday of week 1: Monday, 9/24, 10-12 and 1-3, and Tuesday, 9/25, 10-12 and 1:30-3:30.
We are eager to meet those of you we don’t know, welcome back those we have worked with before, and to begin our work together!
-Krishna and Brian