Chaos: do the reading for Tuesday (pp. 1- 154). Come prepared to seminar ready to discuss with 2 copies of typed up responses to a few of the questions posted here.
Seminar will be held in the Longhouse Cedar Room from 9:30 am to 11:00 am.
- Read Ch 22; skim Ch 25.
- Physics & Calculus HW statement is here.
- Read Ch 7, sections 7.1-7.2
- Calculus Midterm Solutions are here.
- Algebra review:
- Reading: Chapter 17 will be spread out over the next week and a half. For Tuesday, focus on 17.1- 17.6.
- Chapter 17 Problem Set: # 11, 16, 26, 29, 30, 34, 37, 40, 44, 51, 53, 54, 81, 86
- Reading response available here
- Chemistry Lab available here. ***All students (including non-chemistry students) should attend***
- Chapter 17 Learning Objectives:
Be able to explain the concept of entropy and calculate entropy changes for chemical systems and the surroundings
Know the relationship between deltaS, deltaH, and T (K), “free energy” and spontaneity.
Calculate the standard free energy change in a chemical reaction and use it to predict spontaneity
Calculate the pressure dependence of free energy change for a chemical system
Know how equilibrium can be defined in terms of minimum free energy and calculate the value of K from deltaG°.
Be able to relate work done to the change in free energy