- Reading: Ch. 20 in Knight.
- Problems: Due Friday on MP 9:30AM and written (in class). Later due date is so you have time to ask questions on Thursday. Physics Problem statement is here.
BRING YOUR Knight workbook to class Thursday.
- Reading: The 1st edition of Hughes Hallett is quite good; I am less pleased with the current (6th) edition. Consequently I am posting below the relevant chapters of the 1st ed; they correspond to the material we will be covering in the 6th ed, but with better detail.
- If you found the calculus of doing integrals confusing, read Ch 3 of the 1st ed. It should help make things more clear.
- Problems: Due Fri 11:45PM on WileyPlus. In Physics / Calculus Assignment.
- Reading: Chapter 14 Acids and Bases
- Reading Response is available here
- Problem Set: Ch 14 #20, 29, 36, 37, 50, 61, 76, 85, 89, 90, 107, 112, 114, 117, 129, 136, 150
- Week 12 Problem Set solutions can be found here
- Chemistry Lab is available here
- Learning Objectives:
Know how to find pH, pOH, and pK from concentrations and use them for solving acid-base problems.
Apply equilibrium concepts to acid dissociation and calculations involving weak acids, weak bases, and polyprotic acids.
Apply the concept of conjugate acids and conjugate bases to explain why certain salts give acidic or basic solutions and calculate the pH of these solutions.
Discuss molecular structure and how bond strength and polarity affect acid-base properties.