**As of September 21st, 2023, Photoland has finished our student hiring for Fall quarter. That being said, we accept applications on a rolling basis and sometimes do need to hire mid quarter or mid year. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.**
About Photoland: Photoland is part of the Media Services workgroup within the Daniel J. Evans Library at The Evergreen State College. Photoland is the home of Evergreen’s Instructional Photography and Photo Production Services. In addition, Photoland’s lab space has a large black and white darkroom, film development for color film and black and white film, 3 professional photography studios, a state of the art computer lab with 3 large format printers, along with other amenities. Photoland is also home to two galleries that routinely host local artists and student artists to display their work. These areas provide academic and photo production support for the Evergreen State College, and offer limited access for the local community.
Photoland (PL) Job Description: Under the supervision and guidance of Lead Lab Aides, Photography Lab Supervisor, and Head of Instructional Photography, Lab Aides will provide the first line of patron support for day-to-day activities within Photoland. They are primarily charged with helping patrons of Photoland, creating a welcoming and inclusive environment within the facilities, preparing workspaces, and working on special projects as assigned by their supervisors. Lab Aides must maintain an awareness of activities taking place in all Photoland’s various spaces during their shifts and make themselves available to assist patrons and answer questions throughout Photoland. They must also take responsibility for cleanliness and organization in these spaces, both through encouraging cleanliness and organization on the part of our patrons, and by taking initiative to clean and organize the spaces themselves.
Lab Aides are expected to be familiar with the basic functions of all Photoland spaces including the wet labs, color film processor, print finishing area, studios and the Digital Imaging Studio (DIS). Lab Aides will provide patrons with troubleshooting and support for photo related activities as needed including: film processing, darkroom printing, print finishing, digital imaging activities (photoshop, lightroom, scanning support etc.), and studio lighting.
Lab Aides will answer the phone, take messages and connect patrons with the correct person in Photoland. They are also responsible for scheduling patrons using Schedule Evergreen and checking patrons in and out of spaces. Most importantly, Lab Aides will work to be as supportive and helpful as possible to our patrons.
Entry Level Lab Aide Position: $16.00 per hour – typically 10-12 hours per week
*After one quarter of employment in Photoland, there is possibility of moving up to an Assistant Level Lab Aide which would result in a $0.25 raise.
Student employees accrue one hour of sick leave per 40 hours worked. Student employees are not paid for holidays and do not accrue vacation leave.
- Maintaining the analog and digital facilities. Keeping spaces organized and tidy.
- Setting up and breaking down studio spaces prior to and after use.
- Providing support and guidance to fellow students and community members regarding photography-related activities.
- Ensuring that patrons are following the policies and procedures of their workspaces.
- Connecting patrons with additional support as needed.
- Intake of new remote work orders.
- Communication with patrons regarding the status of their orders.
- Maintaining organization of order tracking data.
- Film processing, digital printing and scanning of weekly orders.
- Communication with supervisors regarding the status of ongoing orders.
First and foremost, applicants must have an interest in learning and using photographic equipment and practices, both digital and analog! It is not required that you have experience in photography and photographic equipment prior to working in Photoland!
Photoland is looking for student employees who are capable of both team-based and independent work assignments, can problem-solve under pressure, and are able to communicate effectively. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic for creating an inclusive, welcoming community for all. Photoland provides on-the-job training in the operation of our facilities and equipment. Pay increases, when available, are based on additional job responsibilities, or after one academic year of service.
Photoland is committed to Evergreen’s Non-Discrimination Policy, including in the hiring of student workers.
All Photoland student workers are expected to attend a weekly meeting held during Governance Time:
- Training/Weekly debrief: Paid training sessions take place on Wednesdays from 2-4:00 pm.
- Work study positions are filled first, and then institutional (non-work study) applications are considered as needed. Work Study student hours will depend on work study allocation. However, Photoland does not automatically let employees go when work study is exhausted.
- Communicative usage of electronic communication tools (email, teams, etc.) are a must.
Want to join our team? Apply here to work with Photoland!