RECAST | Updates and Overview of Fall 2020 Orientation
From: Berry, Jadon <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 3:40 PM
To: All Staff & Faculty DL <AllStaffFaculty@evergreen.edu>
September Greetings from New Student Programs!
This email is intended to provide a general overview of how we have adapted New Student Orientation during this time of COVID-19. We hope you find this helpful and invite questions via email.
Like many programs on campus, we have pivoted to an online format for this fall. New undergraduate students are required to participate in a series of synchronous and asynchronous activities as they matriculate to campus. The activities include:
- In mid-July we launched a Canvas-based Advising and Registration module that also provides an opportunity to connect with an academic advisor.
- In August we launched a Canvas-based Spirituality and Meaning Making Module that provides opportunities for students to connect directly with Melissa Bennett, our Assistant Director for Spirituality and Meaning Making. Melissa is doing an amazing job of connecting students to resources and providing one-on-one support.
- We’ve recently launched two learning modules we have brought in from a company called EVERFI. These modules engage students in learning and thinking about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Sexual Assault Prevention. They receive an email directly from EVERFI for these modules.
- Twice in September there are a series of live webinars where students get welcomed to the college, learn about campus resources, meet with staff from First Peoples, and receive an introduction to this year’s common read
- Convocation and Student/Faculty Workshops – Just like past years, we will hold a convocation event. This will be via Zoom on Friday, Sept. 25 from 10 – 11:30 AM and student faculty workshops will follow from 1 – 3:00 PM. Students needing a weekend option will be able to watch a replay of the webinar on Saturday, Sept. 26 from 10 – 11:30 AM and participate in live student/faculty workshops from 1 – 3:00 PM on Saturday.
Orientation could never exist without the amazing support and partnerships from folx across the college. We’d like to specifically name Academic Technologies, Electronic Media, Academic and Career Advising (especially Mel and Kathy), Admissions, Jo Bernier, The Bookstore, the Deans Office Staff, the staff in RAD, Student Activities, Melissa Bennett, Jeannette Smith, Writing Center and QuaSR staff, Registration and Records, Financial Aid, and many others who have contributed in so many ways! The student experience is better due to your contributions. Thank you!
New Assistant Director in NSP!
We are so excited to announce that for the next six months we have the benefit of an amazing new Assistant Director in New Student Programs! Shirley Siloi (MPA ‘18), returns to Evergreen after spending the previous six years providing direct student success support to students at Tacoma Community College. She has also spent time working at Seattle University and completed an internship at the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges. Shirley has already jumped in to take on components of fall orientation and will continue to support the matriculation of students in winter/spring quarters while also contributing to the expansion of Pre-Orientation Programs for fall 2021. Shirley has three email addresses in the system so please reach out to her here: Shirley.E.Siloi@evergreen.edu
What is next?
Please plan to join us at convocation on Friday, September 25 at 10 – 11:30 AM. A link will follow as we get closer to the event.
We look forward to seeing you all so as we dive in to Fall Quarter 2020!