Equity Symposium, Nov. 14 & 15
Dear Evergreen Community:
On Thursday, November 14 and Friday, November 15 Evergreen will convene our second annual Equity Symposium. The symposium is an inspiring campus-wide gathering of workshops, speakers and dialogues dedicated to advancing diversity, equity and inclusive excellence. The symposium provides a wonderful opportunity to learn together, build relationships with one another, and to continue to transform the College in positive ways. I encourage all students, faculty and staff to take the time to attend all or a portion of this inspiring event.
This year the theme of the symposium is “Transforming Dialogue into Collective Action.” Since its founding, many Evergreen students and graduates have become change agents contributing to the greater public good. The symposium will include speakers and workshops on how to translate the dialogues and experiences we share on campus into constructive change in the larger society and for our Evergreen community.
The symposium will feature:
- Opening Reception for all attendees, Thursday 5:00-6:00 p.m., Communications (COM) Building Lobby
- Keynote address by Seattle-based writer, teaching artist, attorney and community organizer Nikkita Oliver, Thursday, 6:00-7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- Panel presentation Transforming Dialogue into Action: Washington Womxn of Color Legislators, Friday, 9:00-10:30 a.m., Purce Hall Lecture Hall 1
- A meal and talk with Project Feast – a non-profit dedicated to helping refugees and immigrants transform and secure their lives, Friday, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Longhouse
- Campus workshops on equity issues led by members of the Evergreen community on topics including but not limited to:
- Identity: The Mirror of Society
- Justice Involved Students: Building Communities, Removing Barriers, and Breaking Down Stigmas
- Not All of Us are on the Basketball Team
- The Rising, Intersectional Movement of Disability Justice
- A Closing Celebration will be held on Friday at 3:15 p.m. in the Library Lobby
The keynote address by Nikkita Oliver is free of charge and open to the public. All members of the Evergreen community are welcome to attend and encouraged to come together to participate in symposium activities. I hope you will join me at this exciting event.
More details, and the registration form, can be found at: https://www.evergreen.edu/equity/evergreen-equity-symposium
A special thanks to all those who have taken an active role in making this event a reality.
George S. Bridges