1. Professional Practice for Artists

The Evergreen State College Summer, 2017

Second Session

Tuesday and Thursday, 6-9:30 pm

Professor: Liz Sales

Email (for fastest response): elizabethjanesales@gmail.com

“COVENANT” (an agreement, a coming-together)  Covenants at Evergreen serve as learning agreements between faculty and students in lieu of conventional grading arrangements. Covenants spell out program policies and expectations for earning credit. Good faith compliance with this covenant is an academic requirement.

By enrolling in and participating in our program, I agree to the following:

A. EXPECTATIONS FOR LEARNING AND CREDIT: Students and faculty agree to work individually and collaboratively to realize the learning objectives of the program:

I agree to come to class, on time, having carefully completed the assignments, assigned readings, and viewings.

I agree to make a copy of any assigned writing or worksheet to give to the faculty on the date it is due.

I agree to arrive at class prepared (with notes) to speak AND listen with consideration.

I agree to challenge myself to find the most productive ways to inhabit and contribute to a dynamic learning collective. This includes productive collaboration, clear communication, and mutual respect of differences.

B. EXPECTATIONS FOR CRITIQUE AND CREDIT:

I agree to bring my homework into critique, regardless of how I feel about the work.

I agree to allow others to critique my work, without becoming defensive.

I agree to critique other students work, respectfully, with their goals in mind, not mine. (In other words, did they successfully execute the assignment according to their own values? Does the work match their conception of the work? )

I agree to back up my critique with concrete examples, “I like it” or “I don’t like it” does not constitute a critique.

Students may arrive at the program needing to improve their confidence in public speaking and discussion participation. If this describes me, I agree to actively work to improve my skills in these areas.

Students may arrive at the program very comfortable with public speaking and discussion participation. If this describes me, I agree to improve my listening skills and my ability to draw my peers into conversation.

C. EVALUATIONS: I agree to write a self-evaluation, submit it to faculty, and attend an evaluation conference with faculty at the end of the quarter. I agree to write an evaluation of faculty at the end of the quarter.

D. FACULTY EVALUATION OF STUDENT WORK: I understand that credit is not the same as positive evaluation. Students receive credit for fulfilling minimum requirements and standards. The evaluation is a statement describing the quality of the student’s work. It is possible for a student to receive full credit but receive an evaluation that describes poor quality work. It is also possible for a student to receive reduced credit but receive some positive evaluation.

E. COLLEGE REGULATIONS: The Social Contract and the Student Conduct Code govern actions and responsibilities in this program and in all aspects of campus life. I agree to read and abide by these documents.

Student Conduct Code: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=174-120

Evergreen Social Contract: (handout) http://www.evergreen.edu/about/social

F. ACCESSIBILITY: Students with access needs should talk to faculty immediately and contact Access Services (867-6348 / TTY 867-6834) and inform themselves about the college’s resources. Accommodations are made based on the documentation you provide; it is the student’s responsibility to initiate the process and faculty responsibility to work with students to insure access according to documented needs. Please initiate this process as early as possible, as accommodations are made from the time you make the request, not retroactively.

G. GROUNDS FOR LEAVING THE PROGRAM: Students may be asked to leave the program if they exhibit behavior or participate in activities that violate the terms of this covenant, the Evergreen Social Contract, and/or the Student Conduct Code. These violations may include:

-Harassment in any form

-Discrimination in any form

-Violent or disruptive speech or behavior

-Recreational drug use (including alcohol)

-Absences that indicate an unwillingness to be in the program

-Failure to complete program work

-Willful incidents of academic dishonesty