Download and Assembly Instructions
I. Gather Supplies
- Scissors or Utility Knife and Cutting Mat
- 12-18″ Ruler
- 2 sheets of legal-size paper — white or ivory works best.
II. Download the Print PDFs
1. Download and Print the two-sided Salal Color Booklet. Click here to download ColorSalalBookletSide1and2
- Print on highest quality print setting on legal-size paper
- Use “scale to fit” print option. Print full image in printable area.
- Use the “center image” option
- Choose the two-sided feature on your printer or simply feed the printer manually.
2. Download and Print Out Insert Cards. To download, click here: SalalColorInsertCards
- Use one-sided legal-size paper. Both cards print on one page.
- Choose the highest quality print option.
- Use Center image.
- Print at 100%.
- Don’t use “scale to fit.”
III. Assemble Accordion Book You can download these instructions or follow along below. Click here to download: ColorSalalAssemblyInstructions
- Trim 1/8” along the short edges of the page. (Note that the printer uses this 1/8 inch on each side to feed the paper into the printer.)
b. Fold paper in half “hamburger-style” with the side with the animals on the outside and the title page on the inside.
c. Fold first side toward the center fold.
d. Turn the book over and fold the other edge to the center fold
e. Unfold Book
f. Cut out Gray Shapes with Scissors or Utility Knife.
g. It will look like this when the gray areas are cut out:
h. Refold the accordion book so that the title page is on the front.
i. Gather the printout of the two cards that will be inserted into the magic book:
j. Cut out the cards by removing the gray shapes. The cards will look like this:
k. Fold each card in half hamburger style.
l. Return to the accordion fold book shown in step h. Open it. Weave Card 1 over the Pigeon, under Brown Elfin Butterfly Larva, over the American Robin and under Anna’s Hummingbird. If it is too difficult you can trim a bit off of the right-hand (non-fold) side.
m. Turn the page and fold the Band-tailed Pigeon and American Robin flaps to the right side. You will see two new slots.
n. Slip Card Two into the two new slots, behind the Band-tailed Pigeon and American Robin. If this is too difficult, trim a bit off the right hand, non-fold side. It also helps to keep the flaps straight.
o. Turn the page and you will see.
p. Close the book so the back cover is facing up:
q. Open the right hand folded edge to reveal a hidden pocket.
r. The hidden pocket contains information about the plant and animal interactions.
s. This is information the artist gathered. If you would like to improve your plant and animal identification skills, then do your own hand coloring and research about the relationships between native plants and animals. Download the black and white Magic Book for the plant you would like to study. Click Here to make another book.