Download, Research, Coloring and Assembly Instructions
I. Gather Supplies
- Scissors or Utility Knife and Cutting Mat
- 12 – 18” ruler
- Set of 12 Colored Pencils (Prisma Color brand is best as it has more pigment in it.)
- 2 sheets of legal-size paper –white or ivory works best.
- Tablet, Smart Phone or Computer for on-line research
II. Download and print PDFs
- Download Two-Sided Black and White Salal Booklet Click Here: SalalBWBookletSide1and2
- use legal sized paper print option
- use “scale to fit” – “print entire page” print option
- use “center image” print option
- Choose the two-sided feature on your printer with binding on the short edge or simply feed the printer manually.
- Use the highest quality
2. Download and Print Booklet Insert Cards. Click here: SalalBWCardstoPrint
- use one-sided legal-size paper, print on highest quality.
- print at 100%.
- Use “center image” option
- Don’t use “scale to fit.”
III. Hand Color the Booklet and Cards
- Colored Pencils: Prisma Color colored pencils are the best, but others such as Crayola will work. The cheaper brands have less pigment so it’s hard to build up rich color. Just get a box of 12 colors. Then you can mix them to create additional colors. Start with the lighter colors and then add the darker ones on top to blend.
- Plant Image Colors: Notice the images on the booklet and the cards are organized around seasonal changes such as budding, leafing out, flowering, fruiting, and changing leaf color in the fall. Use the Magic Book Website’s Plant Image Library to see what the plant looks like in different seasons. This will help you choose the colors. You can also use additional resource books and websites listed on the website. You can go outside and observe the plant. Look for information on the plant page about where to observe Salal. Just try to match the colors.
- Animal Color: Use the Magic Book Website’s Animal Image Library to find out the colors of the animals.
IV. Write your own text
- Turn the booklet page over and find the research questions.
V. Assemble Accordion Book You can download and print the instructions, or use the instructions below. To download click here: SalalBWAssemblyInstructions
- Trim 1/8” along the short edges of the page. (Note that the printer uses this 1/8 inch on each side to feed the paper into the printer.)
b. Fold paper in half “hamburger-style” with the side with the animals on the outside and the title page on the inside.
c. Fold first side toward the center fold.
d. Turn the book over and fold the other edge to the center fold
e. Unfold the booklet with the animal side up.
f. Cut out Gray Shapes with Scissors or Utility Knife.
g. It will look like this when the gray areas are cut out:
h. Refold the booklet so that the title page is on top. It will look like this.
i. Gather the printout of the two cards that will be inserted into the magic book.
j. Cut out the cards by removing the gray shapes. The cards will look like this:
k. Fold each card in half hamburger style.
l. Return to the accordion fold book shown in step h. Open it. Weave Card 1 over the Pigeon, under Brown Elfin Butterfly Larva, over the American Robin and under Anna’s Hummingbird. If it is too difficult you can trim a bit off of the right-hand (non-fold) side.
m. Turn the page and fold the Band-tailed Pigeon and American Robin flaps to the right side. You will see two new slots.
n. Slip Card Two into the two new slots, behind the Band-tailed Pigeon and American Robin. If this is too difficult, trim a bit off the right hand, non-fold side. It also helps to keep the flaps straight.
o. Turn the page and you will see:
p. Close the book so the back cover is facing up.
q. Open the right hand folded edge to reveal a hidden pocket that contains your research about the plant and animal interactions. To make another book, click here.