Job Type: Permanent
Salary Details: $115,000 – $145,000
Forterra innovates and scales land-based solutions to address the climate crisis and support equitable, green and prosperous communities. Forterra envisions people and nature thriving together in a place where everyone belongs. Forterra seeks to contribute to improved community health and sustainability outcomes through how real estate is owned, developed and managed, including for communities who have been marginalized from ownership of land. We own and manage over 17,000 acres across Washington state, comprising conservation lands, easements, leased buildings, and real estate development projects. Over the last 30 years we have contributed to the conservation of over 250,000 acres of land state-wide.
This position will manage the conservation and land stewardship teams, and grow our portfolio of land transactions throughout Washington State. The position involves forming real estate acquisition and transaction strategies; negotiating agreements with multiple parties, planning and executing due diligence processes to reduce risks and exposures; managing budgets and schedules; accounting, financial modeling, management & reporting; and the ability to assemble a capital stack of grants & philanthropic donations, as well as debt and equity financing to close deals. Our current pipeline includes 15+ live transactions, as well as the management of approximately 50 fee simple properties and almost 100 conservation easements.
Job duties are likely to include:
- Finding new deals that meet conservation and financial objectives.
- Leading land acquisition strategy for various types of conservation properties.
- Supporting the development of a business plan for each project: outlining concept, critical elements, risks, project funding strategies, major milestones, work plans and pro formas.
- Negotiating MOUs, PSAs and other agreements with sellers, buyers and strategic partners
- Initiating and completing due diligence for land acquisitions.
- Forming and maintaining working relationships with external partners including landowners, Tribes, government agencies, financing organizations, environmental/engineering/design consultants, and others to facilitate project objectives.
- Working with Grants Director to find, research, write and manage public agency grant applications and contracts; ensure grant compliance and produce all required reports.
- Coordinating with Philanthropy Team to create fundraising strategy for each project and to pitch candidate funders from the public and private sectors.
- Working with the Communications Team to create a communications strategy for each project.
- Leading the land conservation and stewardship teams; mentoring and providing guidance to direct reports.
- Creating and manage project-level and department-level budgets.
- Driving team performance by aligning team members’ motivation with organizational objectives.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Real Estate, Business Administration, Finance, Urban Planning, Law, Natural Resource Management, or related field
- 8+ years experience in real estate transactions, real estate development, project management or an equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position
- Demonstrated success securing and managing large-scale private or public financing, fundraising, or grants to acquire and manage land portfolios
- 5+ years of mentoring and guiding teams of direct reports
- Demonstrated commitment to community service and / or environmental causes
- Experience working with BIPOC stakeholders and economically marginalized communities
- Knowledge of Land Conservation & Stewardship Principles
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficiency in creating and managing multiple budgets & schedules
- Ability to identify and manage risk in the acquisition and due diligence process.
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to integrate fundraising into the project management work stream
- Ability to close real estate deals
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with team members and external consultants
- Project management, research, and time management skills
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Project and Teams
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and strong problem-solving skills
- Entrepreneurial orientation: be able to make something out of nothing
- Grit: be prepared to roll up your sleeves and do whatever is necessary to ensure the success of the project, the team and the organization.
- Humility: be able to know when to delegate, and when to step in and provide guidance; respect your team’s abilities
- High level of directness and empathy in communication: be able to deliver direct guidance while showing respect
TRAVEL, WORKING CONDITIONS, AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT
Forterra is based in the greater Seattle area and supports a hybrid work environment. We allow primarily remote work, with some in-person meetings required. This role in particular requires frequent travel (25%+) throughout western and central Washington (King, Snohomish, Skagit, Kittitas, and Yakima counties for example).
Candidates must successfully pass a background check, show proof of authorization to work in the United States, and reside in Washington state prior to employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants requiring work visas.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that certain minority groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification. At Forterra, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or for other roles in the future.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply on the website: https://forterra.bamboohr.com/careers/88?source=aWQ9MjI%3D