Job Type: Student / postdoc
Salary Details: $72,245-$75,000 Annually
Deadline: Sep 25, 2023
Duration: 2-Year Term
Deadline to Apply: 9/25/2023
Position Type: Full-Time, Exempt
About Point Blue:
Point Blue Conservation Science is a growing and internationally renowned non-profit with over 160 staff and scientists based in Petaluma, California. Founded in 1965 as Point Reyes Bird Observatory, our mission and programs have evolved over time to include a broad range of conservation activity, from restoration to environmental education to innovative work in the field of regenerative agriculture. We have a proven track record of scientific excellence.
We strongly encourage applications from people with backgrounds that are under-represented in the conservation community.
The Meadow Remote Sensing Postdoctoral Researcher will work on a 2-year project to model and map carbon (C) stocks and fluxes in Sierra Nevada meadows. Meadows are highly productive ecosystems that contain high densities of soil C and have high rates of soil C sequestration but have traditionally been excluded from C models and regional projections. This project will develop spatially-explicit models of above- and belowground C stocks and fluxes for Sierra Nevada meadows across the region over the last 35 years. The resulting dataset will be used to answer questions about the impact of anthropogenic disturbance/restoration and climate change on ecosystem C gains or losses in meadows across the region. The model will also be made publicly available to help inform policy and management decisions. The Postdoctoral Researcher will lead innovative research that integrates medium-resolution optical remote sensing (e.g. Landsat) with downscaled climate models and field data to model C stocks and fluxes. The Postdoctoral Researcher will work with a dynamic team to develop the meadow C model, train stakeholders, and prepare results for scientific publication. This project is led by Point Blue Conservation Science in collaboration with the University of Nevada, Reno.
Conservation Science: 80%
- Curate datasets for model training and testing
- Use machine learning algorithms to develop and test models for ecosystem C stocks and fluxes.
- Use High-Performance Computing or Google Earth Engine Cloud Platform to develop spatially-explicit model predictions for the past 35 years.
- Conduct geospatial and time series analyses to explore ecosystem responses to disturbance, restoration, and climate change.
- Document all algorithms and code developed for data processing and analysis.
- Develop a Google Earth Engine App to share model results with policy makers, researchers, and land managers.
- Prepare results for publication in peer-reviewed journals, white papers, and at scientific conferences.
Communications and Reporting: 15%
- Communicate project progress to members of the stakeholder advisory group at annual meetings.
- Train stakeholders on the model results and the use of Google Earth Engine App
- Provide updates to Point Blue staff and project members as needed.
- Clearly communicate research and key results at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed publications
Other Duties as Assigned: 5%
- Performs other project-related tasks, duties, and research as assigned.
- This position requires a Ph.D. (granted or expected soon) in remote sensing, ecology, computer science, geography, or a related field.
- Knowledge of data science tools and experience working with large datasets
- Experience with machine learning algorithms, geospatial and time series analyses
- Strong programming skills (Python preferred)
- Experience working with Google Earth Engine and/or Google Earth Engine Cloud Computing Platform preferred.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team as required.
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of terrestrial C cycling and/or wetland ecology preferred but not required.
- Interest in applied research to inform policy and practice.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computer and phones.
- Work environment is indoors with the majority of time spent sitting at a desk.
- Ability to use a computer keyboard and calculator.
Position Type, Expected Hours of Work, and Travel:
- This is a full time position
- Remote employees should choose an environment that is free from distractions, has a reliable internet connection, and supports the employee’s ability to dedicate their full attention to their job duties during work hours.
HOW TO APPLY