Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: $600-$680 per week
Deadline: Jul 01, 2021
Required Experience: 0 – 1 years
See full job details and application instructions at https://www.conservationjobboard.com/job-listing-trail-stewardship-leader-salida-colorado/3276582167
Colorado Mountain Club is accepting applications for Trail Stewardship Leaders. Crews work across Colorado on trail maintenance projects. Locations include Sange de Cristo, La Garita, Weminuche, West Elk, Uncompahgre, Never Summer, Flat Tops, and Mount Zirkel Wilderness areas. Applicants should have a strong desire to actively engage in a field-based, conservation program that will train, challenge and support participants’ growth and development in their pursuit of meaningful careers in the conservation field.
CMC Trail Stewardship Leaders work in small teams to provide support for public land management agencies via trail projects throughout Colorado.
- Pay: $600-680/week (DOE).
- Food Stipend: $50/week
- Program Duration: *Seasonal* through late-October 2021.
- Project Staging Area: Salida, CO
- Project Locations: Field-based, throughout Colorado.
- Hours: 40/week (Field-based)
- Work environment: Extensive outdoor, field-based work with exposure to remote work and camp locations, inclement weather and extensive physical work duties. Frontcountry & backcountry projects.
- Development: Position will receive Public Lands Corps hiring authority for federal land management jobs once 640 hours of work is completed.
- Status: Position(s) will remain open until filled
- Efficiently complete trail and conservation projects in a variety of environmental conditions, including adverse weather and terrain.
- Use hand tools (picks, shovels, Mcleods, axes, crosscut saws, etc.) to effectively complete trail maintenance on remote Wilderness trails.
- Coordinate logistics with CMC staff and land management agency personnel.
- Independently create a work plan, logisitcs, and routes each week with the crew.
- Effectively communicate to CMC staff, project partners and volunteers in a timely manner.
- Utilize and engage in CMC risk management strategies.
- Transport crew and gear safely in vehicles.
- Position duties are subject to be altered based on changing program and project priorities.
- Physically fit and able to work long days in adverse conditions.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Capacity to professionally communicate in complex situations.
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changing work conditions and/or priorities.
- Frequently required to walk, sit, talk and listen.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Must be able to speak, understand, read and write English.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Leadership experience in the conservation field.
- Experience teaching, facilitating and team-building with diverse groups of people.
- Participation in outdoor activities, work, lifestyle and/or pursuits.
- Knowledge of land management agencies operations and expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or college coursework with a focus on natural resources.
- Extensive trail construction, trail maintenance, and/or trail design experience.
- Crosscut and/or chainsaw certification.
CMC provides equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of race, age, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or any other basis protected by law.
*A seasonal worker is defined as a person who works for an employer who conducts business only during a defined period of time. Seasonal workers may also be hired in an occupation that operates only for a defined period of time. The season as defined by this job position is May 2021 through October 2021. Seasonal workers cannot collect unemployment benefits based on wages paid for the seasonal employment unless they are out of work during the specified season. Seasonal workers who work outside the season are no longer considered seasonal workers and may be able to collect unemployment benefits based on the seasonal wages.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.