Salary: $42,214.32 – $53,796.00 Annually
Location: Mason County, WA
Job Type: Full-Time
PLEASE NOTE: All interested applicants MUST complete a personal history statement (PHS) on the Public Safety Testing website. https://www.publicsafetytesting.com/information-center/personal-history-statement/
REQUIRED documents in addition to the completed application:
Self-Report Checklist (Download PDF reader)
Certification Form (Download PDF reader)
Waiver & Authorization to Release Information Form (Download PDF reader)
OPTIONAL for a completed application: Veteran’s Scoring Criteria Status Declaration (Download PDF reader)
Provides a variety of specialized administrative support services in a law enforcement agency under general supervision. Provides assistance to the public, law enforcement, and court employees and performs various office support work in person, over the phone, and through written correspondence.
Work involves a variety of support services tasks providing timely, reliable, and accurate information; processing a variety of records, court documents, and other paperwork; entering, validating, and correcting information in various computer systems.
This class specification reflects the general concept and intent of the classification and should not be construed as a detailed statement of all the work requirements that may be inherent in a position.
Examples of Duties
Responsible for independently accomplishing daily objectives of a specialized enforcement or compliance support function.
Interacts with Mason County Sheriff’s Office employees, correction officers, law enforcement agencies, court officials, prosecutor’s office, and the public on issues in assigned duty areas.
Reviews and processes time sensitive legal documents from criminal justice, social services, professional organizations, citizens, and public disclosure requests to ensure accuracy, completeness, and legal compliance with federal and state laws and sheriff’s office policy.
Initiates legal documents as needed. Clarifies, and/or provides guidance on Revised Codes of Washington, various types of court orders, subpoenas, affidavits and other legal documents to assist officer(s) in the field in determining proper legal course of action.
Answers inquiries and receives requests for service from citizens and staff by phone, mail, fax, and in person. Provides information and instructions or makes contacts and referrals to persons and organizations.
Processes permits and legal documents as needed, which may include various types of court orders, subpoenas, affidavits, warrants and other legal documents and may include cash handling.
Administrative support to the Sheriff, his Command Staff and/or other leadership as needed. Regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
This position may at times experience highly stressful situations in the process of resolving problems under strict deadlines.
This position is expected to function with considerable independence and have latitude in exercising independent judgment within the framework of existing policies and procedures. Work is reviewed periodically for adequacy and accuracy of records, reports and functions.
The Support Specialist 1 works with a variety of complex software and legal systems on a daily basis including multiple Mason County systems, jail systems, and state and federal reporting systems. The Support Specialist 1 class is distinguished from the Support Specialist 2 & 3 classifications by their emphasis on learning and becoming proficient in the various tasks and functions of the position to which they are assigned. Support Specialist I’s will generally work under closer supervision with less independence until proficiency is acquired.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- Pursuant to RCW 41.14.100, must be a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident and be able to speak, read, and write the English language.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Acceptable score on Civil Service skills examinations
- One year of office support experience, preferably in a law enforcement, court, or legal office.
Please view the Mason County Sheriff’s Office Employment Standards (Download PDF reader) for requirements.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Required to pass a background investigation, which includes a polygraph exam and behavioral assessments.
If you drive to and from work and/or for any work-related matter you must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and vehicle insurance or request and approved reasonable accommodation.
Work is generally performed indoors in an office environment, both in the Sheriff’s Office and the corrections facility. Lifting may be required, usually not in excess of 50 pounds. May be required to deliver items and operate county vehicles. Duties may include interaction with individuals who may be hostile or angry.
- General office practices and procedures.
- Computers and other office equipment.
- Sheriff’s Office related documents, procedures and terminology.
- Basic mathematical concepts.
- Learn Sheriff’s Office software to successfully perform the essential job functions of the position.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Handle sensitive information with a high degree of confidentiality,
- Deal with difficult and potentially volatile persons in a professional and calm manner,
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, Public Officials and the public.
- Keyboard accurately and quickly.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, with individuals and groups regarding complex or sensitive issues or regulations
- Set up and maintain a variety of files.
- Sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Multi task at a high level while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Operate standard office machines and equipment.
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information.
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/masoncountywa/jobs/4070448/support-specialist-1