Salary: $39,528.00 – $52,620.00 Annually
Location: Yakima County – Other, WA
Job Type: Project (limited duration)
Closing Date: 8/15/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Are you someone who loves the outdoors and is passionate about protecting our natural resources and public access? If you love recreating in the outdoors, engaging with the public, working with volunteers and performing work to maintain recreation facilities, this job is for you. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Southeast Region Recreation Program is seeking a Natural Resource Technician 3 to help promote safe and sustainable recreation on DNR managed lands. This position provides maintenance and operations to recreation facilities including campgrounds, trails and trailheads. The position is highly visible to the public and acts as a point of contact for recreationists, volunteers, and user groups. It will engage the public to answer questions, educate users on applicable laws and rules, and maintain recreation sites for all to enjoy.
- Independently perform routine recreation site maintenance in DNR recreation sites and dispersed recreation areas in Yakima and Klickitat Counties.
- Develop and implement maintenance schedules to meet current and future needs in the recreation sites and dispersed areas.
- Cut brush, trees and other vegetation within recreation sites.
- Independently transport, operate and maintain equipment including, but not limited to, excavator, backhoe, 4×4 truck, ATV, UTV, skid spray unit, snowmobile, trailers, hand and power tools.
- Perform noxious weed control within recreation sites and dispersed recreation areas.
- Engage with recreationists to answer questions and educate users on applicable laws and rules.
- This position works independently in the field throughout the year.
- Demonstrated self-starter that requires minimal supervision.
- Effective organizational skills and follows through on assignments.
- Basic computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience dealing with and able to handle members of the recreating public in a professional manner.
- High school diploma or GED AND Three (3) months experience working in a Natural Resources or Recreation related field.
- Experience in Recreation maintenance, such as operating power tools, off road motorized vehicles and equipment.
- UTV/ATV, Snowmobile and Trailer Operators certification. These certifications will be made available to the incumbent once hired. Failure to gain these certifications may be grounds for dismissal.
- Obtain a WA State Department of Agriculture pesticide applicators license within the first three (3) months of employment.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
Special Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- Work is performed in an indoor or office setting (10%) and alone in isolated unimproved natural areas throughout Washington (90%). Incumbent must be able to traverse uneven terrain in all weather conditions. Must be able to bend, lift and carry appropriate tools and equipment (up to 50 pounds) on field assignments, as needed, to conduct assigned tasks.
- Requires the majority (90%) of the time in the field traveling alone between sites within Yakima and Klickitat counties. Moderate amounts of overnight travel will be required.
- A valid unrestricted driver’s license and have two years of driving experience. This position requires driving as an essential function. Finalists and/or interview candidates will be asked to provide a driving record from all states in which they have held a license during the past three years.
- Law Enforcement Experience.
- Experience speaking at group events or club meetings.
- Have a current WA State Department of Agriculture pesticide applicators license.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
- Candidates that move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted via email from email@example.com with interview information/scheduling instructions. Please monitor the email listed in your application materials and check your junk email folder to ensure you receive those communications.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4144704/south-maintenance-technician-natural-resource-technician-3