Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details Surveyors: $1,430 – $1,603, paid twice monthly (equivalent of $16.50-$18.50/hour).
Crew leads: $1,603 – 1,733, paid twice monthly (equivalent to $18.50-$20.00/hour).
Pay rate is subject to applicable experience and position.
Deadline: Feb 27, 2023
Founded in 1992, Hamer Environmental is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting firm. Our mission is to supply quality natural resource consulting. We offer a full range of environmental services throughout the U.S. We service a wide variety of state and federal agencies, universities, energy companies, private industry, engineering/ architectural firms, consulting firms, public utilities, oil and gas companies, tribal corporations, and conservation organizations.
Hamer is an equal-opportunity employer. Just like in our own environment, a healthy ecosystem is a diverse one, and we think success is an abundance of perspectives, backgrounds, geographies, and experiences. We look forward to your ideas being part of our next great solution. We strongly encourage applications from people of all races, color, genders, national origins, religions, disabilities, LGBTQ+, veterans, and creeds.
Hamer Environmental is looking for energetic, skilled field biologists to join our marbled murrelet crew for the 2023 summer season. Field biologists will conduct inland forest surveys for a threatened seabird, the marbled murrelet, on private and government-owned forest lands in western Oregon (Roseburg and Grants Pass areas). Some positions may also involve assisting other nearby wildlife survey projects. These positions are full-time seasonal from mid-April to early August 2023, full project duration commitment is necessary. Marbled murrelet experience is not required if candidate possesses basic bird ID skills and strong field skills.
The work includes conducting early morning surveys in mature and old-growth coniferous forests following a strict protocol, setting up survey stations and routes, collecting habitat data, conducting surveys, transcribing collected data and reporting to the supervisor. Applicants should be comfortable navigating and working alone in the forest in the dark and often during inclement weather. Survey station locations are dictated by protocol and can require hiking upwards of 1 hour 30 minutes one way through steep and rugged terrain. Hiking into survey stations will be done in the dark off trail following an established flag-line.
Hamer will provide a full mandatory survey certification training, housing, 4WD work vehicles and all field equipment besides personal effects. A vehicle bonus and mileage reimbursement will be provided to surveyors using their own 4WD high clearance and reliable vehicle on the project.
- Locating, setting and flagging survey stations using GPS and provided site maps to protocol
- Conducting a two-hour standing audio-visual survey pre and post dawn for marbled murrelets
- Collecting, transcribing and submitting data accurately and legibly
- Maintaining work vehicle, inspection and mileage logs
- Participating in safety meetings
- May complete other related duties as needed
- A B.S. degree in biology, wildlife biology, natural resources or related degree is required
- Previous field experience conducting field research or surveying bird species is strongly preferred
- Following scientific protocols with integrity
- Western bird identification skills by sight and sound
- Comfortable and willing to survey alone in the dark and often in steep terrain during inclement weather and camp
- Strong orienteering skills using compass, GPS, map and aerial photos
- Effective communication skills and ability to work alone and in teams
- A valid state-issued driver’s license and clean driving record (DMV driving record submission required)
- Ability to operate and maintain 4WD vehicle and navigate rural forest roads
- Successful completion and passing of marbled murrelet training week
- Normal vision and hearing, hearing test required, to be submitted prior to start of employment
Crew Lead Positions
In addition to surveyor duties outlined above, crew leads have the following duties:
- One year of marbled murrelet survey experience is required
- Manage or assist in managing company projects
- Oversee and lead crew tasks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis including mentoring, organizing field logistics and handling project issues
- Manage and oversee station setting effort/progress
- Reviewing submitted survey data and survey schedule
- Effectively communicate with management staff and clients in professional manner
- Routine meetings with client
- Organize and lead crew safety meetings
Surveyors: $1,430 – $1,603, paid twice monthly (equivalent of $16.50-$18.50/hour). Crew leads: $1,603 – 1,733, paid twice monthly (equivalent to $18.50-$20.00/hour). Pay rate is subject to applicable experience and position.
To apply, please prepare a resume and cover letter to be submitted to Apply@hamerenvironmental.com or complete an application online through our website under the Careers section. Interviews will begin to take place in late January and will continue into February 2023 until positions are filled.
Contact person: Human Resources
Contact email: Apply@hamerenvironmental.com