Job Type: Paid Internship
Salary Details: $500/week (24 weeks).
Housing and round-trip transportation to site provided. Hours qualify towards Public Lands Corps (PLC) noncompetitive hiring.
Start Date: April 9th, 2023
End Date: September 24th, 2023
The Bureau of Land Management’s Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area extends out from the Oregon coast, one mile into the Pacific Ocean. Standing 93 feet tall at the westernmost point of the basalt headland, the lighthouse has been a bright beacon of the night, guiding ships and their supplies along the west coast since the light was first lit on August 20, 1873.
The intern will assist with marine and avian wildlife, tidepool ecology, and natural history education programs, including school programs, formal presentations, and interpretative ranger facilitation at the site. Preparation of education programs and materials, work in the visitor center, Latino engagement, and organizing an International Migratory Bird Day event will be the focus of the position. The intern will also participate in seabird breeding studies with Oregon State University. Opportunity to participate in shorebird point counts is possible.
- Prepare and lead outdoor K-12 educational programs
- Organize an International Migratory Bird Day event on site
- Collect and transcribe data and prepare reports on seabird reproductive studies
- Promote Latino engagement and Spanish facilitation on site
- Create bi-weekly blog posts informing on internship experience and work projects
- Prior experience in education/interpretation or outreach
- Enthusiastic and interested in working with the public
- Interest in marine, coastal, or avian ecology
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish is preferred environment for the Americas seeks to engage ethnically and racially diverse professionals in natural resource careers.
Environment for the Americas seeks to engage ethnically and racially diverse professionals in natural resource careers.
- Workweek involves 40 hours per week Monday – Friday and occasional weekends
- A car for commuting to site
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the start of their internship
- Must be between 18 and 30 years of age
- If you are a veteran, you may apply up to age 35
- Under Direct Hire Authority and Public Land Corps requirements, as provided by the Office of Personnel Management, you MUST be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. legal resident to be eligible for any position