Salary: $64,092.00 – $86,208.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Closing Date: 8/21/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Office of Finance, Budget and Economics is looking for a principal assistant to the Payroll Manager to join their team as a Fiscal Analyst 5. In this role, you will be able to support the DNR in our mission, goals and objectives by developing systems and processes that ensure that every employee is paid accurately and timely. You will utilize your knowledge and expertise in the analysis, audits and oversight of agency payroll processing. This position interacts with HR Consultants, agency employees and supervisors, other state and federal agencies, other HR/Payroll staff in the agency and assists with the development of fiscal procedures, development of automated and manual reporting processes, and interpretation and analysis of payroll data
- Supervise the FA4 Benefits Specialist Position within the payroll unit.
- Enter and verify employee wages, deductions. Leave, time, LWOP and FMLA information.
- Review, analyze, and interpret all payroll records/reports to ensure that basic pay, overtime and benefits are correct based on Collection Bargaining Agreements, RCW’s, WAC’s, HCA, DRS, IRS, OFM and ESD rules an regulations.
- Review and ensure that all leave (and leave accruals) have been taken, paid and/or accrued correctly.
- Review retroactive adjustments for accuracy and enter adjustments into HRMS in compliance with Agency policy, CBA’s, federal and state laws.
- Act as agency expert for all taxable benefits.
- Process court ordered garnishments, ESD Garnishments and IRS Levies
- Conduct reconciliations of the State Payroll Revolving Fund 035.
- Prepare and submit quarterly reports and payments to the IRS, L&I, ESD, DRS and HCA.
- Work closely and in conjunction with the other FA5 in the payroll unit on all out of state tax processing and reporting.
- Compose letters and emails to employees for collections, insurances and other payroll matters.
- Set up new hires, process rehires, transfers, separations and all other actions within HRMS and/or PAY1.
- Review PEBB worksheets for accuracy and process, maintain and monitor benefits in compliance with HCA, OFM, CBA’s and Agency policy.
- Answer questions from all employees related to payroll, benefits and garnishments.
- Bachelor’s degree with 18 quarter or 12 semester hours of accounting, and 3 years of experience in a financial environment
5 years combination of education and/or experience. Education must include a minimum of at least 18 quarter or 12 semester hours of college-level accounting.
- Experience and proficiency using Microsoft Office software and computer systems
- Journal Voucher experience to include extensive knowledge of journal voucher processing and transaction codes
- Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting accounting systems
- General Ledger reconciliation experience.
- Experience in payroll processing.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
Special Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday, 0800-1630. Incumbent may be approved to work flextime and may be eligible for telework.
- Travel, as necessary, to region offices throughout the state for needed training or to assist with payroll activities during vacancies or emergency leave situations.
- Knowledge of state payroll processing, procedures for a state agency, including HRMS.
- Knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), specific to payroll.
- Ability to be focused and to prioritize work to meet inflexible deadlines while dealing with constant interruptions.
- Ability to maintain high levels of accuracy with a heavy workload applying attention to detail in everyday tasks.
- Must possess strong interpersonal relationship and leadership skills.
- Consistent ability to communicate with co-workers and diverse clientele effectively and respectfully.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Attach a copy of your college degree certificate or an unofficial copy of your transcripts.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
- Candidates that move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted via email from email@example.com with interview information/scheduling instructions. Please monitor the email listed in your application materials and check your junk email folder to ensure you receive those communications.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4144800/principal-assistant-to-payroll-manager-fiscal-analyst-5