Salary: $17.79 – $23.66 Hourly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Part Time – Permanent
Department: Dept. of Agriculture
Job Number: 2023-03170
The Washington State Department of Agriculture has been serving the state for more than 100 years. Through service, regulation, and advocacy, we keep agriculture viable and vital in Washington State, while protecting consumers, public health, and the environment. We work extensively with farmers and ranchers, but our responsibilities – from ensuring food safety to environmental protection – touch the lives of millions of people locally, nationally, and abroad.
The agency includes 780 employees approximately and grows close to 1,000 employees at the peak of seasonal work. To learn more and view additional openings, please visit our Employment Page.
We are hiring a Permanent/Part Time Metrology Laboratory Assistant to join the team!
The WSDA Weights and Measures Program promotes marketplace equity in commercial transactions through testing and inspecting commercial devices, price verification, package inspection, public education, monitoring fuel quality, and investigating complaints. In addition, maintains the standards for mass, volume, and length in order to provide reliable measurement services for government and industry.
The Metrology Laboratory Assistant works within the state metrology laboratory and assists with calibrating measurement standards used in commercial transactions, and scientific laboratories. A variety of local, state and federal agencies rely on the calibrations performed by this laboratory to conduct law enforcement and regulatory activities. Private sector businesses use the services offered by the laboratory to conduct quality assurance and provide calibration services.
The laboratory is equipped with precision measuring devices whose measurements are traceable to international standards. The State Metrologist operates the laboratory and maintains traceability recognition with the National lnstitute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and accreditation with National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP), an ISO 17025 equivalent program. The State Metrologist serves customers ranging from regulatory officials to commercial operators on a fee for service basis by calibrating to a high degree of accuracy test standards used in the evaluation and adjustment of measuring devices.
The State Metrologist lab supports the activities of the Weights and Measures Program by managing the replacement and periodic calibration of the standards used by the field inspectors. The position assists the State Metrologist with coordinating the distribution of other equipment.
Position and Salary Information
WSDA is recruiting for a part-time permanent Metrology Laboratory Assistant position within the Plant Protection Division. This position is located in Tumwater, Washington, and is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE).
The base pay offered will take into account internal equity and may vary depending on the preferred candidate’s job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The typical starting salary range for this position is: $ 17.79 – $ 23.06 hourly.
In addition to the salary listed above, incumbents assigned to our Seattle office location receive an additional 5% King County Location Pay stipend. If a position is designated as requiring dual language skills, incumbents will also receive a 5% Dual Language Requirement Pay stipend.
- A healthy work/life balance, which may include flexible work schedules, and teleworking.
- WSDA provides an excellent benefits package beyond traditional benefits. State employment offers Dependent Care Assistance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Deferred Compensation, Employee Recognition Leave; click here for more information.
- 12 paid Holidays & Vacation and Leave Accruals.
- All Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required will be provided by the agency.
- Commute Trip Reduction Program.
For more information about the Washington State Department of Agriculture, visit us at www.agr.wa.gov.
Some of what you’ll be doing:
- Cleans cast iron standards.
- Paints cast iron standards.
- Cleans volumetric standards.
- Completes office and administrative tasks related to customer review and acceptance.
- Assists in maintaining the Quality Manual
- Meets with customers and accept standards.
- Uses forklift.
- Assess standards for suitability.
- Logs accepted items into work log.
- Assigns job order numbers.
- Ensures all communications with customers are recorded on job orders .
- Tracks the hours worked on each customer’s items.
- Keeps carts clean, lab areas clean, and replaces air filters.
- Orders Supplies.
- Assists with general administrative and office tasks.
- Enters billing information and job orders into PISCES system and review.
- Answers inquiries regarding billing.
- Reviews calibrations and certificates.
- Makes necessary corrections when issues are detected.
- Performs general office and administrative work.
- High school diploma OR equivalent education/experience.
- Must be able to complete on-site forklift training.
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs., reach and push, and climb ladders with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must pass a standard High school math test within the first 3 months of employment.
- Microsoft Office and Excel experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
How to apply
You must complete your careers.wa.gov profile and answer the supplemental questions. In addition to completing the online application, and supplemental questions applicants must attach the following documents to their profile to be considered for this position:
· A cover letter describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position.
By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
Applications with comments “see attachments” will be considered incomplete.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing, or completing your application, please call NEOGOV toll-free at (855) 524-5627 or email email@example.com.
The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified, and documentation may be required. Applications received via e-mail will not be accepted in lieu of applying through the state’s on-line recruitment system.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact the Human Resource Office at Recruitment@agr.wa.gov.
Prior to a new appointment into the Department of Agriculture, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
The Human Resources Division may use referrals from this recruitment to help fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
The Washington State Department of Agriculture requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes and should be requested a minimum of (7) seven days prior to the first day of employment. Accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
Veteran’s Preference: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran’s Preference MUST attach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For additional information on Veteran’s Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible, click here.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.