Salary: $18.24 – $23.07 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Part-time, 29 hrs per week or less
Job Number: MaintAsstZoo21
Department: Zoological and Environmental Education
Opening Date: 05/11/2021
Closing Date: Continuous
Maintenance Assistant I Pay Range – $18.24 – $20.32
Maintenance Assistant II Pay Range – $20.92 – $23.07
Metro Parks Tacoma (MPT) is a CAPRA-accredited and AZA-accredited, independent park district that leads efforts to build a healthy, sustainable community. Located in Tacoma, Washington, Metro Parks’ mission is to create healthy opportunities to play, learn, and grow. The independent park district spans the city providing a wide range of life-enriching destinations and services, including 70+ parks, 80+ miles of trails, 1,000+ acres of urban forest, 66 playgrounds, four community centers, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, Northwest Trek Wildlife Park, Point Defiance Park, and much more. Our work is guided by eight core values that are the foundation of our actions and goals: innovation, excellence, equity, inclusiveness, sustainability, accountability, safety, and fun.
Why You’ll Love it Here
Come work with us and work where you play! You will contribute to the overall vitality and well-being of your community when you work for Metro Parks Tacoma, and you’ll do so as part of a supportive team of committed, passionate, and mission-driven professionals. The people of Metro Parks are the key to its success, and you just might be the next great addition to our team. On top of that, you’ll wake each day knowing that you’re helping make Tacoma a great place to call home.
POINT DEFIANCE ZOO AND AQUARIUM
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium(PDZA) is the only combined zoo and aquarium in the Pacific Northwest. The 29-acre zoological park was established in 1905, and attracts about 700,000 visitors a year. It is nationally accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA), which ensures rigorously high standards of animal welfare, veterinary care, conservation, education and more.
The Zoo sits within 700-acre Point Defiance Park, offering spectacular views of Mount Rainier, the Olympic Mountains and Puget Sound. PDZA is operated by Metro Parks Tacoma, the oldest independent park district in Washington. For more information, visit www.pdza.org
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, participate in the maintenance of Park District grounds, buildings and facilities in an assigned division or area.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Observe applicable safety requirements, use safety equipment provided, implement appropriate safety practices at all times and report immediately any unsafe working conditions or hazards.
This position is responsible for performing routine building and ground maintenance duties to assist in the care and maintenance of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium buildings, facilities, and grounds. Duties may include:
- Performing routine building and ground maintenance duties to assist in the care and maintenance of buildings, facilities, exhibit areas.
- Performing custodial and cleanup functions as required; cleaning restrooms, toilets, sinks, mirrors and walls; mowing, raking, edging, weeding, fertilizing and water lawns; planting, fertilizing, watering, trimming and pruning shrubs, trees and flowers as assigned; sweeping and blowing debris from walks, hard surfaces and driveways; gathering and removing trash from grounds;
- Preparing rooms or facilities for special functions; moving furniture, small bleachers, equipment and other objects as required; sweeping, mopping, and cleaning floors; vacuuming carpets and rugs.
- Maintenance Assistant II will be required to operate a Metro Parks Tacoma’s vehicle.
- Other duties assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT I AND MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT II:
– Must be at least 16 years of age (Maint. Asst. I – does not require driving)
– Must be able to operate a variety of hand tools and maintenance equipment to perform assigned tasks.
– Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds
– Must have good oral communication skills
– Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision
– Must be able to work flexible schedule to include weekends and/or holidays as needed
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT II ONLY:
– Must be at least 18 years of age
– Must have a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record (must attach a 5 year driving abstract or complete motor vehicle report to application in order to be considered for the Maint Asst II position, failure to attach abstract will result in applicant only being considered for the Maint Asst I position)
– Previous grounds maintenance or park operation experience required.
HOURS: Up to 29 hours per week. Days and hours per week may vary as needed.
Indoor, outdoor and shop work environment.
Fumes, dust, pollen, and noise from equipment operation.
Heavy lifting objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
Bending at the waist.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of specialized equipment and hand and power tools.
Sitting for extended periods of time while operating grounds equipment.
Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
Walking over rough or uneven surfaces.
Working with machinery having sharp moving parts.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/metroparkstacoma/jobs/3078670/maintenance-assistant-i-ii-point-defiance-zoo-and-aquarium