Salary: $61,056.00 – $82,056.00 Annually
Location: Skagit County – Sedro Woolley, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Job Number: 2023-7-6234-08975
Department: Dept. of Natural Resources
Opening Date: 07/13/2023
Closing Date: 8/2/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
The Department of Natural Resources Northwest Region has an exciting opportunity for a Leasing and Rights of Way Manager to join our team. This position serves as the designated region expert for access, communication site leases, and land use licenses. This position performs professional level expertise and provides direction, guidance, consultation, training, and monitoring for region staff and consults with several divisions staff. This position helps Northwest Region achieve the mission through strong leadership, thoughtful decision making, and excellent planning. It is important for the incumbent of this position to have a wide variety of communication skills as they will interact with numerous levels of managers, supervisors and employees within the DNR as well as other agencies, private contractors and the general public.
The duty station for this position is located in Sedro-Woolley, WA, in the scenic Skagit Valley. World-class outdoor recreation opportunities abound in the area. The main entrance to North Cascades National Park is only 1 hour drive to the east. The San Juan Islands can be accessed from Anacortes, just a 45 minute drive to the west. Additional recreation opportunities can be found in the surrounding Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie National Forest and state forest trust lands. For more urban experiences, Seattle, WA. And Vancouver, B.C. are each only an hour and a half drive away.
- Advises the Project Section Administrator, state lands districts, and region management on lease compliance actions and updates.
- Responsible for leading the processes to administer existing licenses and leases and grant new licenses and leases.
- Negotiates regularly with private landowners, corporations, tribes and other governmental agencies.
- Northwest Region expert for communication site leases and land use license (LUL) granting.
- Land Use Licenses cover a broad range of uses including stream restoration projects, logging operations (tail holds), science based data collecting, military exercises, and other miscellaneous uses of state lands. Each license is complex, requiring scoping, negotiation, research, and strategic thinking.
- Northwest Region expert for the rights-of-way program for easement granting and acquisitions and shorter-term road use permits (RUPs).
- Position advises the Project Section Administrator, state lands districts, and region management on access needs by assessing for short term or long-term use, scoping, negotiating with the other party, and researching title.
- Supervises several staff members.
- Basic understanding of real estate law related to processing Rights-of-Way documentation; Real Property appraisal practices including appraising land and road values, utilizing county assessor data and other information related to timber harvest and new road construction; allowable uses of land related to Land Use Licenses; and processing Land Transactions.
- Proven ability in computer applications, word processing, Excel spreadsheets, and other proprietary databases to process documentation, retrieve information, and track workload. Ability to utilize GIS to research and map ROW related issues and edit or work with others to supervise edits.
- A Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, or a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field; AND three years of professional related experience.
OR A combination of education and/or experience.
- Ability to effectively communicate (orally and in writing) and collaborate with diverse internal and external customers/stakeholders to process multiple concurrent tasks; ability to successfully negotiate acceptable terms with difficult parties; and ability to evaluate characteristics of complex proposals that may impact the cost, feasibility or require special provisions to accommodate.
- Highly developed planning, negotiating, budgeting, and collaborating with diverse customers/stakeholders; ability to evaluate characteristics of complex proposals and agreements that may have financial, management, and other significant ramifications.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
Special Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- Mostly office, with occasional needs for field visits to communication sites existing and new, as well as remote locations for easement, permit or license activity review and for compliance. Occasional travel.
- Basic understanding of DNR’s asset management and trust land management responsibilities and practices. Prior experience in managing assets across large forested landscapes, with multiple uses, and with complex levels of public interest is desirable.
- Additional education specializing in right of ways, surveying or land management is desired.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
- Candidates that move forward in the recruitment process may be contacted via email from email@example.com with interview information/scheduling instructions. Please monitor the email listed in your application materials and check your junk email folder to ensure you receive those communications.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4118901/leasing-and-rights-of-way-manager-natural-resource-specialist-4