Salary: $52,385.00 – $63,508.00 Annually
Location: King County – Seattle – Other, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Job Number: 23DOT-NWR-11949
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Division: Northwest Region
Opening Date: 07/20/2023
Closing Date: 8/6/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an excellent entry-level career building opportunity for someone who thrives in working with their hands and has a passion for bridges. The incumbent will work independently operating the 1st Avenue or Montlake Bridge in Seattle. The main undertaking of this role is draw bridge operations.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Bridge Tender will:
- Responsible for the safe operation of either the 1st Avenue or Montlake Bridge, ensuring the safety of both highway and marine traffic.
- Keep complete and accurate records of all bridge openings including log date, type of tow, direction of travel, time of opening, weather conditions, name of watercraft, and other pertinent information.
- Monitor phone line, V.H.F. marine radio, and WSDOT radio dispatch for requests for openings or related traffic updates.
- In the event of an accident or emergency contact highway radio, WSP, or local police department. Log all necessary information such as damage to state property, names of persons involved, make, year, and license of vehicle.
- Maintain cleanliness of operator house, cleaning windows, restrooms, and floors.
- Perform routine graffiti patrol, cleaning, and painting bridge areas and/or state structures to cover graffiti.
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance tasks such as changing light bulbs, painting, etc.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Possess a current and valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work from elevated catwalks.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders and work at heights around a marine environment and walk on uneven ground and under bridges.
- Ability to lift and transport equipment and tools.
- Punctuality and ability to work varied shifts as needed, including occasional night shifts.
- Ability to work under stressful situations and work well on a team.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Experience working around water and construction environments.
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4129981/highway-maintenance-worker-1-bridge. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.