Job Type: Permanent
Salary Details Starting Rate: $32.30 – $37.90 per hour, dependent on qualifications and experience.
Deadline: Sep 28, 2023
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Finance & Accounting Assistant provides administrative, technical, compliance and customer service support for the finance and accounting functions of The Nature Conservancy’s Washington Business Unit. They are responsible for expeditiously and courteously responding to, routing, or resolving inquiries and requests from internal and/or external customers. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Accounts Payable (AP) and Expense Reporting: directly processing invoices and expenses, corresponding with vendors, maintaining AP forms and data, and providing guidance to all levels of staff regarding expense reporting and invoice payments.
- Accounts Receivable (AR): making physical deposits and organizing supporting documentation.
- General Finance & Administration: support other finance and administrative functions as assigned, such as analysis and supporting documentation for tax filings, completing business license renewals, vehicle registration, preparing journal entries and other financial transactions, researching transactions and determining follow-up actions.
- Contracts Administration: providing back-up coverage for contracts for services, which may include drafting contracts from standard templates, routing agreements for signature and maintaining records.
Within the scope of the position, the Finance & Accounting Assistant will:
- Prioritize tasks in the absence of specific instructions and make day-to-day decisions within the scope of work assignments; independently perform duties according to instructions or established practices.
- Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- Coordinate activities with multiple variables, setting realistic deadlines and managing the timeline.
- Ensure The Nature Conservancy’s policies and procedures are met and reinforce consistency with staff.
Work Environment & Schedule
- This is a hybrid position based in Seattle, WA with the expectation of 2 or more days per week onsite at The Nature Conservancy’s Seattle office.
- This is a full-time (35 hours per week), hourly position. The work schedule is typically a standard Monday – Friday, with some long and/or flexible hours as needed. Flexible work arrangements are available.
- Onsite work is performed in a professional open-office environment and involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science and our values, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together.
As the ideal candidate, you enjoy individual, computer-based work and have the ability to see the big picture while accurately completed detailed tasks. A self-directed learner, you thrive being in a support role and collaborating with other operations staff. You are oriented around finding solutions to challenges through investigation, critical thinking, and good judgement. As part of a geographically dispersed team, you are able to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of colleagues, while working independently to meet deadlines.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate, motivated problem-solver and eager to contribute to the mission of TNC by delivering excellent finance and accounting services. Come join TNC and apply today!
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting or related field and 3 years’ related work experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exposure to basic principles of accounting/finance.
- Experience using automated and electronic accounting systems.
- Experience working across teams and communicating with a wide range of people.
- Experience organizing time, establishing priorities and managing diverse activities to meet deadlines.
- Experience generating reports and interpreting data.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion in both work and workplace, including acting in accordance with our Washington Equity Statement; be respectful of differences of identity and/or beliefs, and successfully work across those differences to meet work objectives.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail, accuracy in work product, and proficiency with document management.
- Ability to analyze information and interpret for the purpose of coordinating and planning activities, solving problems and accomplishing work objectives.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience using technology to achieve desired results. Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Office Suite, SAP Concur, database management, SharePoint, Box and other applicable technologies.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
UTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver’s license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered “high-risk drivers.” To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee’s motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for job ID 53975, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on 9/28/2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.