Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: Hourly pay rate of $18.75 – $24.75/hour
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding their team and looking for dynamic individuals who are following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work. Our Raleigh office is seeking Archaeological Field Technicians to conduct cultural resources investigations in North Carolina and throughout the Southeastern United States. This is a temporary, on-call position.
What you will accomplish
Under the direction of a field lead and/or project archaeologist, complete archaeological survey and field testing, including shovel test pits and excavation units, and assist with data collection in the field using field forms, digital photography, GPS data collection, and in-field mapping. Assist with archaeological office and lab work.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A Bachelor’s Degree in anthropology (concentration in archaeology), archaeology, the geosciences (with coursework in archaeology), or a closely related field;
- Completion of an accredited archaeological field school or demonstrative equivalent, or 3-6 months field experience in cultural resources with a range of field methodologies, including survey, testing, excavation, and monitoring;
- Ability to travel to a location, walk, and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather (including extreme heat and humidity), rugged terrain, often at high altitudes;
- Ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds;
- Current valid driver’s license and ability to safely operate a 4wd vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads;
- Must be very flexible, adaptable to rapidly changing project conditions, function well in a supportive but intense work environment, and maintain patience with a positive outlook; throughout both daily and challenging situations.
- 6+ months experience with a wide range of field methodologies, including archaeological survey, testing, excavation, methodology and monitoring;
- Experience or coursework in the geosciences (geomorphology, sedimentology, pedology, etc.);
- Knowledge of Collector and Survey123.
- Compensation based on education and experience;
- This is a temporary, on-call position;
- Estimated time in the field is 90-100%;
- Project schedules typically include 10-hour days, 6 days a week, sometimes for extended periods;
- Hours worked over 40 hours per week are paid at time-and-a-half rate;
- Single occupancy hotels paid directly by SWCA;
- Per diem for full day, unless otherwise noted for specific projects;
- Vehicles provided for projects;
- Opportunity for advancement within SWCA.
Cooperation with SWCA’s high standards of safety in the field and office are required (PPE that is required will be supplied) including all staff’s right to call a “Safety Timeout” at any time when unsafe work conditions are observed.
If you are seeking an opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions, then SWCA will be a great fit for you!
HOW TO APPLY