DEADLINE: OCT 11, 2021
The damage we’re doing to the earth is both unsustainable and infuriating. Climate change is speeding up. Plastic pollution is piling up. There’s even evidence that global deforestation is spreading diseases like COVID-19. But solutions to these problems are all around us, practically begging us to adopt them: solar and wind power, electric cars and buses, more walkable and “bikeable” cities, sustainable alternatives to harmful single-use plastics, more protections for wild places and wildlife, and on and on. Environment America’s mission — the thing that drives everything we do — is to transform our ideas and imaginations into change that makes our world a greener and healthier place. To help us achieve this mission, Environment America is seeking an Environmental Defense Campaign Associate to help drive our policy agenda.
The Environmental Defense Campaign Associate will work with our staff of researchers, campaign staff and communications experts to run advocacy campaigns at the federal level. The legislative agenda will balance proactive policies with a robust defense of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act and other important environmental protections that have come under attack in Washington, D.C.
We do what it takes to turn public opinion and political momentum toward a greener, healthier world. If you want to work hard, challenge yourself, and make an actual impact on the critical environmental issues of our time, then consider a career with Environment America.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to like-minded organizations and affected constituency groups to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions in Congress. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write reports: Catalogue and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $28,500-$30,000 in the first year. Environment America offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
We’re also hiring Campaign Associates to work on other campaigns in locations across the country. We accept applications on a rolling basis. This position starts in August 2022.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit our website for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.
Fill out our online application on our website.