POSTED: SEP 14, 2021
DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
See full details at https://environment.uw.edu/career-opportunities/environmental-advocate-intern/
Clean Water Action is an organization working to empower people to take action to protect America’s waters, build healthy communities and to make democracy work for all of us. Clean Water Action has succeeded in some of the nation’s most important environmental protections through grassroots organizing, expert policy research and political advocacy focused on holding elected officials accountable to the public.
Clean Water Action is dedicated to being an anti racist organization. We believe that those most affected by environmental degradation should have a voice at the table and solutions to environmental problems contribute to broader goals of justice for the most vulnerable among us.
Now, about this position:
Clean Water Action is currently accepting applications for our Fall 2021 internship program. Our internship provides motivated and talented individuals an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in politics, communications, and advocacy. Candidates who possess a strong commitment to environmental, social, and political justice, a positive attitude, and a good sense of humor will be well suited for this role. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
(Please only apply if you have specific plans to be located near or travel to our Baltimore Clean Water Action office. We do not provide any housing assistance. )
Responsibilities of a CWA Intern:
- Learn the importance of environmental damages and how to enforce environmental law.
- Identify individuals who wish to participate in the activities of including letter writing, attending meetings, etc
- Recruit members by collecting signatures and contact info.
- Raise funds to support our research, lobbying, and educational campaigns.
- Promote clean, renewable energy and combat climate change.
- Promote action on progressive issues to influence national, state, and local decision-makers
- Located within a commutable distance of the Baltimore area.
- Must commit to a minimum of 10 weeks for 20 hours per week. (Minimum 3 Shifts, 2:00pm-9:30pm Monday through Friday.)
- Must be able to provide COVID vaccination documentation.
- Must have strong communication skills.
- Must be committed to the cause of diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion.
- A desire for non-profit career development is a plus.
- Experience with canvassing and political organizing is a big plus!
What’s in it for you?
- Starting rate of $13.25-$15/hr+ bonus.
- Work with an industry leading environmental Non-Profit.
- Flexible Scheduling.
- Relaxed, fun, and casual workplace culture.
- Paid training.
- Gain knowledge of local politics, campaign strategies, and environmental issues.
- Possibly earn college credit.
- Enhanced benefits available for employees who work 21+ hours a week.
Clean Water Action adheres to all the principles of professional practice set forth by the National Association of Colleges and Employers. This is a paid internship. Base pay does vary slightly from one office to another, but in all of our locations, Clean Water Action complies with all FLSA and applicable state labor requirements.
As an equal opportunity employer, Clean Water Action is dedicated to non-discrimination in every aspect of employment. No person is to be discriminated against in employment because of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or any other ground prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. This equal opportunity policy applies to veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, terminations, pay, and the work environment.