Job Type: Paid Internship
Deadline: Apr 06, 2023
Salary Details: This position includes an hourly wage of $15.74/hour, shared housing, accrued sick time, paid holidays, and a $200 gear stipend.
The Vashon-Maury Island Land Trust’s work permanently preserves and stewards land on Vashon and Maury Islands in the heart of the Puget Sound. Our Stewardship program is largely comprised of on-site preserve management, habitat restoration, trail maintenance, new trail construction and invasive species removal. The position includes informal educational opportunities, wilderness first aid training, native plant identification, restoration design, and community science data collection. This internship will also take us to the Olympic Peninsula for a week to work with the Elwha tribe on their restoration work related to dam removal. The Land Trust is currently seeking three seasonal interns to join our Stewardship crew from May 15 through November 16, 2023.
- Work with crew members to accomplish a variety of stewardship actions, including but not limited to: habitat restoration, preserve maintenance, invasive weed removal, and tool maintenance.
- Conduct regular trail maintenance and assist with new trail construction, including but not limited to weed whacking, turnpike and bridge building, and brush clearing.
- Fall planting of new restoration sites and/or supplemental planting in existing sites.
- Engage with community members in volunteer work parties on preserves.
- Complete small construction projects, building kiosks, and installing trail signs and trail structures.
- Maintenance of buildings and other infrastructure owned by The Vashon Land Trust.
- Represent Vashon Land Trust to preserve visitors, neighbors, and community members.
Candidates must have enthusiasm for working outdoors, and an interest in building a career in Conservation/Natural Resource Management. Candidates should be capable of spending large parts of the day working outdoors, in varying weather conditions, performing physically challenging tasks for the duration of the internship.
Candidates should be self-motivated, with an ability to motivate others and develop leadership skills as the job allows. Candidates should be able to work well and live well together as a group, having fun, and doing challenging projects that benefit the environment and the community. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license. Appropriate fields of study include, but are not limited to, conservation biology, ecology, natural resources management, and philosophy. Vashon Land Trust also values the lived experience that applicants may bring to the position, particularly those who come from communities historically marginalized in mainstream outdoor opportunities, such as Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC).
Compensation and Schedule
This position includes an hourly wage of $15.74/hour, shared housing, accrued sick time, paid holidays, and a $200 gear stipend. It is full time non-exempt, 40 hours/week, and temporary (May 15 – November 16). Shifts are Monday through Thursday from 7:00am to 5:00pm. Interns share a three-bedroom furnished apartment with shared living space, bathroom, and kitchen. All utilities are included.
Please send a letter of interest, with attached resume and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org