Salary: $16.80 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Seasonal, less than 6 months
Job Number: ZooAideWWOT2023
Department: Zoological and Environmental Education
Opening Date: 06/20/2023
Metro Parks Tacoma (MPT) is a CAPRA-accredited and AZA-accredited, independent park district that leads efforts to build a healthy, sustainable community. Metro Parks Tacoma is located in Tacoma, Washington. The system is comprised of many different park facilities that offer residents a variety of recreational opportunities. From waterfront access to local neighborhood parks to large regional facilities and attractions, the MPT system is both a local community asset and regional destination.
OUR CORE VALUES
These eight core values will guide future decisions, business and operations, and the manner in which MPT treats staff, customers and the community: •Innovation •Excellence •Equity •Inclusiveness •Sustainability •Accountability •Safety •Fun
POINT DEFIANCE ZOO & AQUARIUM
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is the only combined zoo and aquarium in the Pacific Northwest. The 29-acre zoological park was established in 1905, and attracts over 800,000 visitors a year. It is nationally accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA), which ensures rigorously high standards of animal welfare, veterinary care, conservation, education and more. The Zoo sits within 700-acre Point Defiance Park, offering spectacular views of Mount Rainier, the Olympic Mountains and Puget Sound. Point Defiance Zoo is operated by Metro Parks Tacoma.
Under the direction of the Assistant Curator, this position is responsible for performing specialized work in the care, observation and maintenance of an assigned zoological area at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Observe applicable safety requirements, use safety equipment provided, implement appropriate safety practices at all times and report immediately any unsafe working conditions or hazards.
Duties include, but are not limited to, daily husbandry of ambassador birds, mammals, reptiles, and invertebrates; maintaining records; wild animal handling; and presenting animals informally to zoo visitors. Zoological Aides may participate in or assist with a multi-taxa, large format, scripted animal presentations in the Zoo’s Wild Wonders Outdoor Theater, a covered, 350-seat amphitheater that features off-leash and free-flight behaviors. Additionally, Zoological Aides may participate in the presentation of the Bugs Alive! invertebrate program.
- Must be a high school graduate
- College degree in biological sciences desirable
- Previous exotic bird or animal husbandry experience preferred
- Must have excellent customer service and observational skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively and follow written & oral instructions
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays
A resume and cover letter with dates of availability must be included with the required application form
HOURS: Seasonal position available:
- Seasonal position, up to 40 hours per week for less than 6 months.
Indoor and outdoor environment.
Adverse weather conditions.
Cold water while interacting with mammals.
Lifting and carrying heavy objects or animals weighing up to 50 pounds; pushing; climbing; walking; kneeling and crouching to work with and feed animals; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate specialized equipment and tools.
Exposure to potentially dangerous and sick animals.
Exposure to animal fecal.
Chemicals, fumes, odors, poor ventilation and noise.
Contact with irate visitors.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/metroparkstacoma/jobs/3891029/zoological-aide-wild-wonders-outdoor-theater