Salary: $84,055.20 – $104,850.72 Annually
Location: Mason County, WA
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 202300008
Department: UTILITIES & WASTE
Opening Date: 05/16/2023
Closing Date: 6/15/2023 5:59 PM Pacific
Plans, organizes and manages the day-to-day activities of the Water, Wastewater Utility, and is responsible for the on-going operation and reporting for the potable water systems and the wastewater systems, consistent with all regulatory provisions.
Examples of Duties
- Responsible for the daily operations and maintenance assignments to sustain the operation of potable water and wastewater systems. This position plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments, reviews progress, quality of work, identifies changes in priorities and schedules. Assures that staff performs their work effectively, efficiently, safely and according to appropriate guidelines, procedures and regulations.
- Responsible for preparing and submitting all required reports and other documentation, as required, to maintain compliance with County, State Federal and local laws, regulations and/or standards.
- Provides strong leadership and guidance to staff.
- Assign, supervise, and evaluate the work of staff. Advises and trains subordinates as necessary. Participates in the selection of new employees and makes recommendations regarding hiring, performance, discipline, transfer and termination.
- Investigates and resolves personnel issues, including assisting the Deputy Director with disciplinary action, when appropriate.
- Assists the Deputy Director with the preparation, administration and monitoring of the Utilities budgets. Monitors and documents program expenditures, assuring compliance with approved budget(s) and staffing levels.
- Enforce department and county policies, procedures, guidelines, regulations, and safety and health standards.
- Assists the Deputy Director regarding short- and long-range plans for utility operations. Coordinates divisional activities in conjunction with other County departments and outside governmental agencies. Maintains interagency cooperation with all regulatory agencies and commissions.
- Reviews permits, construction plans and specifications under guidance from the Deputy Director when needed.
- Oversees new construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of water and wastewater facilities.
- Provides representation on interdepartmental committees and before HOA’s; makes presentations and provides technical advice and assistance regarding utilities.
- Analyzes and recommends systematic maintenance approaches to existing facilities, equipment and operating systems of the division.
- Maintains records for proper evaluation, control and documentation of assets.
- Resolves inquiries, complaints, problems or emergencies affecting the availability or quality of services. Responds to sensitive or complex inquiries of service complaints with guidance from the Deputy Director
- Authorizes payments for contracted services; and participates in resolution of disputed contractual matters.
- Remains current on legislation, legal requirements and regulations and communicates changes that affect operations with team.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED, two (2) years of college (90 credits or CEU’s), four (4) years of treatment plant experience, and at least two (2) years at a class III or higher plant.
- High School Diploma or GED and six (6) years of treatment plant experience, with at least two (2) years at a class III or higher plant.
- High School Diploma or GED and four (4) years of college (180 credits or CEU’s) and two (2) years of treatment plant experience at a class III or higher plant.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Washington State driver license.
- State of Washington Certification as a Group 3 Wastewater Operator
- Water Distribution Manager (WDM) 1 certification or ability to obtain in one (1) year.
- First Aid/CPR Card
- Cross Connection Specialist (CCS) or ability to obtain in one (1) year.
- Certification in first aid and CPR within one (1) year of hire required.
- Confined space entry preferred.
- Wastewater treatment processes, including preliminary, primary, secondary, and tertiary treatment. Also knowledgeable of solids digestion, sludge handling, and plant-wide air, water, electrical and hydraulic support systems.
- Collection systems, including pumping stations, regulatory stations and miscellaneous structures and disinfecting methods.
- Wastewater terminology and process control. Prior experience operating membrane-bio reactors facilities is preferred.
- Industrial safety procedures and practices.
- Wastewater laboratory protocols and typical process control testing for a wastewater plant.
- Operates computer applications including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Exercises sound, ethical judgment in the decision-making process.
- Delegates authority appropriately and monitors production/progress with effective control techniques.
- Management and supervision principles and practices.
- Legal requirements, regulations, and laws applicable to area of assignment.
- Fiscal management, including budget preparation, expenditure control and record keeping.
- Techniques and practices utilized in the construction, operation and maintenance of water and wastewater systems.
- Principles and practices of contract and grant administration.
- County Government process, procedures and practices.
- Plan, organize and oversee assigned work programs, including monitoring work schedules and evaluating the work of others.
- Develop departmental goals and objectives and conduct planning activities.
- Analyze and evaluate operations, develop and implement corrective actions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, Supervisors, County Commissioners, other agencies and the general public.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals and groups regarding complex or sensitive issues or regulations.
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/masoncountywa/jobs/4044071/water-and-wastewater-manager