Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: $19/hr
Deadline: Jun 30, 2023
SUMMARY: The Tucson Audubon Society is partnering with the National Park Service Inventory and Monitoring program based in Tucson, on two monitoring projects starting in July 2023. We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic field technician to conduct a season of vegetation and soils monitoring followed by a season of wildlife monitoring using remotely triggered cameras. All work is conducted as part of a team comprised of Audubon staff, NPS staff and other interns. Work is conducted across several national park service units (including Saguaro National Park, Chiricahua National Monument, and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument) and multiple Pima County holdings around the greater Tucson area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: As a vegetation and soils monitoring technician you will be conducting standard quantitative monitoring techniques such as line-point intercept and point frequency quadrat sampling, in-situ soil stability tests, and biological soil crust frequency counts, as well as taking repeat photographs and site diagrams. Wildlife camera work involves the deployment and later retrieval of ~60 cameras in three NPS units. All camera sites are remote, and several sites are accessed per day.
All work is conducted in the backcountry usually away from roads and trails and involves extensive daily hiking (up to 10km per day) while carrying parks weighing up to 30lbs. Some work involves multi-day backpacking into the wilderness of Saguaro NP.
Field work comprises approximately 75% of the work with ~25% in the office completing data management such as but not limited to: scanning data sheets, entering data into MS Access or excel, downloading and renaming photos, sorting wildlife photos, cleaning and organizing equipment or performing vehicle safety checks.
Work conducted away at remote parks typically begin on Wednesdays and are 8 x 10-hour days, followed by 6 days off, and involve car camping and cooking outdoors. Work on weekends and some holidays is expected. A 4-day work week is followed when field sites are local and can be accessed from Tucson.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Technicians will work as part of a 2-5 person team and will be based out of the Sonoran Desert Network offices located on the east side of Tucson near Saguaro NP.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those with disabilities.
- Requires regular travel throughout the Desert Southwest at a range of elevations from the desert floor to mountain tops.
- Ability to work in an office environment and use a keyboard, mouse, and other common office equipment.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and push and pull loads including extended hiking with a 30 lbs pack.
- Ability to walk 5 miles off-trail in rugged conditions including loose sand and rocky trails.
- Ability to conduct field work outdoors for 10 hours in all weather conditions including extreme heat, freezing conditions, and dry or rainy days.
- Ability to walk, stand, kneel, and occasionally climb ladders or lie on ground.
- Ability to use hands for manual tasks requiring strength and dexterity.
- Ability to speak and hear coworkers in sometimes loud or open environments.
- May occasionally camp or work from remote locations for multiple days.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES: Successful applicants will be experienced in outdoor activities such as hiking, camping and backpacking, especially in arid and hot environments and will have either an academic background in natural resources studies, botany, ecology, conservation or related fields or relevant work experience. Training in all protocol specifics will be given.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities and details required for each duty listed above. Detailed work plans should be developed with the manager and designed around the duties listed above and should address program and organizational goals
HOW TO APPLY
Please follow the link below to apply: https://tucsonaudubonsociety.bamboohr.com/careers/58