Salary: $61,056.00 – $82,056.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 2023-7-3041-08977
Department: Dept. of Natural Resources
Opening Date: 07/14/2023
Closing Date: 8/13/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
In support of the organization’s mission to manage, sustain, and protect the health and productivity of Washington’s lands and waters and to meet the needs of present and future generations the Incumbent will use advanced technical knowledge to perform complex appraisals, review complex appraisals, and prepare appraisal consulting assignments. Responsibilities include consulting with project managers regarding scope of appraisal assignments, preparing USPAP and UASFLA compliant appraisals and appraisal reviews, and assisting the Chief Appraiser in research of complex assignments. The position also assists in the preparation of assignment instructions to consultant appraisers.
- Independently appraises merchantable and reproduction timber to “Market Value” for Department property acquisitions, exchanges, and sales or transfers.
- Performs standard appraisal practices.
- Research appropriate comparable sales from counties and other sources.
- Uses personal judgement and knowledge of regulations to determine when to use each method.
- Independently prepares “Investment Value” reports for land and timber to support Department acquisitions and exchanges.
- Reviews timber appraisals submitted by third party appraisers to determine the credibility of their reports.
- Provides consulting services to programs and project managers regarding feasibility of proposed projects.
- 2 + years professional experience in the natural resource field as a forester and/or timber cruiser and/or professional experience appraising land and/or timber AND Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, business or real property related field
OR a combination of experience and/or education.
- High-level technical writing skills as evidenced by college level coursework or completed on-the job writing assignments.
- Ability to communicate thoughtfully and respectfully resolving issues with other appraisers or project managers.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
Special Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- Travel and Field work is required
- A valid unrestricted driver’s license and have two years of driving experience. This position requires driving as an essential function. Finalists and/or interview candidates will be asked to provide a driving record from all states in which they have held a license during the past three years.
- Understanding of trust land management principles and DNR land management practices.
- 1 years’ experience working with teams to successfully solve problems.
- Familiarity with functioning GPS units, ability to read maps to identify locations in rural areas and ability to use GIS.
- Strong organizational skills as they pertain to records management policy and procedures.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4119040/timber-appraiser-property-acquisition-specialist-4