For more information, please follow this link: https://www.higheredjobs.com/details.cfm?JobCode=178037253&utm_source=08_02_22&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JobAgentEmail
Central Washington University is recruiting a Sustainability Officer to join our University Operations team in Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of our team as they enhance the vision for the University. The role is a campus-based position, which means you get to see the lives you are impacting. We’re offering a salary, depending on experience, plus the awesome CWU benefits.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students’ Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You’ll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
For the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here. www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdhOegDa9A
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-perks-discounts .
The Sustainability Officer (SO) is tasked with developing, leading, and supporting sustainability related planning, projects, and programming at Central Washington University. Leadership of these efforts includes the development and implementation of strategic initiatives aligned with short- and long-term university planning that improve the overall sustainability of CWU. In improving the sustainability of CWU, the SO identifies and manages initiatives that seek to reduce the environmental impact of the university while being socially equitable and economically feasible. The SO will work collaboratively with administration, faculty, staff, and students to develop, coordinate, and implement effective sustainability initiatives and foster a culture of sustainability across all divisions of the university. All employees are expected to support CWU’s commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
* Develop and implement a climate and sustainability action plan.
* Develop and present proposals for operational or policy changes to improve campus sustainability.
* Identify funding mechanisms for sustainability related initiatives.
* Coordinate with all divisions at CWU to develop division-specific sustainability goals.
* Recommend sustainability solutions and strategies to CWU administration.
* Annual reporting of sustainability efforts and progress.
* In collaboration with stakeholders track and report markers for campus energy use, water use, greenhouse gas emissions, waste reduction, and other sustainability related issues.
* Monitor and report on state and federal legislation related to sustainability and the potential impacts to CWU.
* Project management of sustainability related initiatives.
* In collaboration with faculty support student education through internships, coursework support, student clubs & orgs, and other related education and outreach efforts.
* Support faculty in development of sustainability related curriculum and help facilitate living laboratory opportunities across campus.
* Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to develop, implement, and achieve sustainability related goals.Generates and manages content for the sustainability website, social media, campus news, and other publications.
* Advances participation in national certification programs, including Sustainability Tracking and Assessment Rating System (STARS), Tree Campus High Education and the Bicycle Friendly University.
* Oversees inclusion in sustainability rating systems such as the Princeton Review Guide to Green Colleges and Sierra’s Cool Schools.
* Oversees a sustainability budget, including budget projections, tracking, and verification.
* Mentors and supervises AmeriCorps and student staff members by providing direction, feedback, support, and opportunities for professional growth.
* Organizes and directs the Sustainability Council.
* Participates in work groups, committees, councils, and leadership teams
* Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and experience working with sustainability programs and projects.
- Demonstrated ability to design, manage, and implement sustainability projects at a private or public organization.
- Strong leadership, collaborative, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with university administration, faculty, staff and students as well as external constituents.
- Excellent oral, writing, editing, communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and experiences.
- Or applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Training and coursework in sustainability.
- Master’s Degree in a related field (environmental science, engineering, social science, or a field related to sustainability issues)
- Strong project planning skills, and experience creating and maintaining sustainability initiatives and projects in a higher education environment.
- Sustainability project and program management experience with evidence of successful implementation.
- Prior experience with sustainability reporting tools (e.g. Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Sustainability Tracking and Reporting System (AASHE STARS)).
- Prior experience grant writing.
- Experience or interest in mentoring students from a variety of backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students through various activities.