Salary: $54.24 – $62.91 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Temporary – Non-Benefit Eligible
Job Number: 2023-01299
Department: Seattle Public Utilities
Division: Solid Waste Line of Business
Opening Date: 07/03/2023
Closing Date: 7/18/2023 4:00 PM Pacific
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) seeks a highly motivated Solid Waste Performance & Analytics Lead (Principal Economist) for a temporary assignment. This position guides performance measurement and evaluation, research, and reporting projects for the Solid Waste Utility. This position also plays an important role in conducting economic and data analyses related to solid waste topics. To advance Seattle toward Zero Waste, this position will guide research and analytical projects that improve alignment of the Solid Waste Line of Business Utility’s programs and policies with the City’s solid waste goals in the 2022 Solid Waste Plan Update: Moving Upstream to Zero Waste and SPU’s 2021-6 Strategic Business Plan. As such, the work of the position will be grounded in your ability to leverage the Solid Waste Utility’s data and analytics to inform and improve programs, policy, and operations. The temporary assignment may last up to 11 months from the date of hire.
- Data Analysis: Conduct data collection and analysis to estimate annual tonnages by waste stream and customer sector to determine sector-specific recycling rates and support the development of weight-based solid waste metrics and targets.
- Economic Analysis: Conduct economic analyses related to solid waste on topics such as rate structures, rate adjustments, bond sales, economic impacts, and feasibility of construction alternatives, economic, and tonnage forecasts, capital improvement projects, and economic impacts of new legislation, regulations, and contracts.
- Reporting and Evaluation: Manage data collection, quality assurance, and analysis for the annual recycler reporting requirement.
- Contract Management: Efficiently manage performance measurement and waste prevention modeling contracts, including overseeing work assignments, budget negotiations, and contract meetings.
- Team Leadership: Supervise and mentor two (2) direct reports who support contractor performance management, annual recycler reporting, and operations.
- Technical Advisor: Represent SPU as a technical advisor on economic matters involving other utilities, departments, or agencies.
- Information Resiliency: Enhance the resilience and redundancies of the Solid Waste System by collaborating with IT and other stakeholders.
- Planning and Outreach: Collaborate with stakeholders to evaluate the impact of waste programs, calculate metrics, and refine targets.
- Research: Guide planning, management, and contractual activities related to waste characterization studies and other research projects.
Experience: Five (5) years of professional experience in economic and financial research and analysis
Education: Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration, or other field involving extensive course work in economic and financial theory and analysis. The graduate study may be replaced by four (4) years of related professional experience. Other combinations of education and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability.
The full salary range for this position is $54.24 to $62.91 per hour. This position allows for the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Employees will be required to come into the office twice a week. Individual schedules will be agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/jobs/4106564/temporary-solid-waste-performance-analytics-lead-principal-economist