Job Type Temporary
Salary Details $15-$16
Required Experience 0 – 1 years
Oxbow is looking for Farm Crew members to join us for the 2021 season. As a member of our farm crew you will join a team of experienced organic farmers and have the opportunity to work within all aspects of our farming operation. Farm crew members will have responsibilities including propagation house work, weed control, field planting, harvest and post-harvest handling, and sales and deliveries of food. Farm crew will also be expected to manage areas of production including pest and fertility management, greenhouse production, and irrigation.
Our operation functions at a unique scale, employs collaborative decision-making processes, and has a focus on providing professional development opportunities to our farm crew. Because of this, the ideal candidate would be passionate about sustainable farming and interested in pursuing a career in agriculture.
This is a seasonal, hourly position with 5 day work weeks. Hours may be variable and long depending on the time of the year. Crew members receive hands on training in all aspects of our diversified production system as well as the option for extracurricular educational experiences.
- Harvesting of produce efficiently and consistently for a variety of markets
- Transplanting and direct seeding crops reliably
- Cultivation of crops by hand, with various tools, and mechanically
- Irrigation setup, maintenance, and operation
- Support implementation of integrated pest management plan
- Greenhouse propagation and management
Post-Harvest Handling, Processing and Delivery:
- Post-harvest handling, including receiving and processing of produce for a variety of accounts
- Packing orders consistently in a fast-paced environment
- Delivery of orders throughout the Seattle Area
General Farm Production Team:
- Set up and supervise farm stand during CSA pick-up, public days, and at farmers markets
- Provide excellent customer service to the public, communicating about Oxbow’s programs and Membership opportunities
- Maintain a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Make sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
- Guide occasional farm tours and assisting with public engagement within farm fields
- Provide necessary supervision to members, volunteers, and gleaners in farm fields
- Work cross-functionally with program teams to ensure efficient and effective communication and operations
- Represent Oxbow in a positive, professional manner, engaging with and educating visitors about Oxbow’s mission and programs
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by the Farm Manager
- Due to the seasonality of this position, long hours and weekend days are part of the role.
- At least one year of previous farming experience preferred
- Physical dexterity and stamina necessary in all aspects of the job for safety and efficiency
- Consistent attention to detail
- Able to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs.
- Work well independently and in a team setting
- Able to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Able to give direction and act in lead role when necessary
- Clear, consistent communication
- Able to perform repetitive work in inclement weather – standing, kneeling, bending over
- Small engine operation and tractor experience a plus
- Ability to speak conversational Spanish a plus
- College degree in a relevant discipline is a plus
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMITMENT
Oxbow is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion. We value the individual differences, life experiences, and knowledge that our staff members bring to their work and their communities. Valuing diversity is a significant part of our culture, our values, and the success of Oxbow’s mission.
Oxbow provides equal employment opportunities to all staff members and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Oxbow is committed to fostering a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, seasonal position (May-November), paying $15-$16 per hour, with paid time-off. Oxbow Seasonal Farm Crew employees also receive a $1000 bonus upon completion of the season in November.
REPORTS TO: Farm Manager
Please email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write Seasonal Farm Crew in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
To see this job posting, and our other open jobs, on our website, http://www.oxbow.org/get-involved/employment-opportunities/.