SEA FARM CREW SEASONAL AND/OR PERMANENT POSITION(S)
Blue Dot Sea Farms (www.bluedotseafarms.com) is a Washington State social purpose corporation. We operate a floating shellfish and seaweed farm just north of the Hood Canal Bridge. We have an opening for one or more candidates who are both interested in sea farming and safe, comfortable and effective performing physically demanding work on the water.
Position: Sea Farm Crew Member (s) (seasonal full time; may lead to permanent position)
Schedule: Generally 4 10-hour days, but hours and schedule may vary depending on weather, needed work and season. May include periods of optional or required overtime during the busier seasons. Work day begins at the company’s warehouse in Kingston, Washington.
Qualifications: High school (or higher) degree or equivalent preferred; courses in marine or other science a plus; prior experience with fishing or otherwise on boats preferred; prior agriculture experience useful; current Washington driver’s license
Reports to: Farm Manager.
Salary: $16-$18/hour, depending on qualifications and experience
Conditions and requirements of employment:
• Capable of physically demanding labor, including the ability to comfortably lift and handle fifty (50) pounds regularly, over the course of 6 to 8 hour shifts, both on the water and for warehouse, on-land transportation and other work
• Ability to work safely, effectively and collaboratively, including on the water in all weather and sea conditions and over the course of a full work day.
• Able to understand and discharge appropriate actions in emergency conditions.
• Able to speak and understand English well.
• Takes and follows directions well as to all tasks and responsibilities but also has initiative as appropriate for knowledge and experience
• Demonstrates strong work ethic, positive attitude and eagerness to learn
• Reliable for schedule and task responsibilities
• Communicates effectively
• Has own transportation to and from work location
• Wears proper safety gear at all times.
• Competent with knots used in marine settings
• Works well with other crewmembers
• Respectfully represents the company well in interactions with others, including nearby neighbors, visitors to the farm, at the boat dock and otherwise.
• Competent swimmer
• Observes company requirements for timely documenting hours and other administrative matters.
• Understands, and assists as needed for compliance with, regulatory requirements for safety, other aspects of marine operations and food handling.
• Follows Covid-appropriate practices as directed, including masking.
• Must complete safety orientation prior to working
• Must complete trial and training period, with company satisfied with capabilities and qualifications.
Duties and Responsibilities
Generally, the duties and responsibilities involve the assembly, use, handling, deployment, retrieval and maintenance of equipment used to grow shellfish and seaweed in a sub-tidal setting and the harvest and processing of shellfish and seaweed before and at market-ready condition. Depending on the specific position and candidate, this would include the following:
• Sorting, cleaning, retrieving (from in-water cages) oysters
• Assembling, deploying, retrieving,, cleaning, maintaining and replacing line, fasteners, cages and other equipment, both in the warehouse and on the water
• Assists with boat launch, retrieval, handling and maintenance
• Moves, handles, maintains and repairs equipment in the warehouse
• Assists with data collection and other work for research products
• Periodic pickup and delivery, needed equipment from vendor locations
• Other specific tasks as assigned.
Contact: Jon Kroman at Jon.Kroman@gmail.com