Salary: $58,104.00 – $78,120.00 Annually
Location: Multiple Locations Statewide, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
The Human Resources Office (HRO) within the Department of Ecology is looking to fill two Safety Officer (Safety Officer 3) positions. One position can be based out of our Northwest Region Office in Shoreline or our Bellingham Field Office. The other position can be based out of our Eastern Region Office in Spokane, our Central Region Office in Union Gap, or our Richland Field Office in Richland. For more information on duty station cities please see below:
Northwest Region Office (NWRO) in Shoreline, WA.
Bellingham Field Office (BFO) in Bellingham, WA
Central Region Office (CRO) in Union Gap, WA.
Eastern Region Office (ERO) in Spokane, WA.
Richland Field Office (RFO) in Richland, WA.
As the senior-level Safety Officer, you will play a vital role in providing specialized safety and occupational health expertise to support Ecology’s mission. In this role you will oversee safety programs, conduct training, offer consultation services, and evaluate safety and health operations across Ecology facilities, regional offices, and environmental programs. By making critical decisions and advising managers and supervisors, you will play a key role in reducing on-the-job injuries, preventing incidents, and minimizing negative impacts. You will also analyze incident data and provide recommendations to enhance safety practices and achieve adherence to regulatory standards and industry best practices. This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual who is passionate about occupational safety and health to make a meaningful impact.
Human Resources Mission: The mission of the Human Resources Office (HRO) is to develop successful employees, promote healthy and productive relationships, ensure a safe work environment, and recruit great talent to achieve Ecology’s Mission.
Tele-work options for this position: These positions will be eligible for up to a 60% tele-work schedule. Applicants with questions about position location options, tele-work, and flexible or compressed schedules are encouraged to reach out to the contact person listed below in “other information.” Schedules are dependent upon position needs and are subject to change.
Application Timeline: This position will remain open until filled, we will review applications on August 7, 2023. In order to be considered, please submit an application on or before August 6, 2023. If your application isn’t received by this date, it may not be considered. The agency reserves the right to make a Hire any time after the initial screening date.
What makes this role unique?
In the Safety Officer position, you will offer a unique blend of analytical thinking, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills. You will have the chance to visit different locations throughout Washington state and interact directly with our team members, helping them understand and implement best safety practices in their respective environments, making a positive impact on the lives of our workforce. Furthermore, you will contribute to the growth and success of our organization by minimizing workplace incidents and ensuring compliance with occupational safety and health regulations.
Some of what you will do:
- Provide expert-level safety consultation to solve problems, reduce risk, and improve the safety and health of Ecology staff.
- Create and deliver engaging safety training to educate staff on safe work practices, emergency procedures, and the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Promote a safety culture throughout the organization by raising awareness and encouraging active participation from employees.
- Travel across Washington to provide hands-on safety support to our field workers, laboratory technicians, and other personnel.
- Develop and implement comprehensive safety programs and procedures.
- Conduct regular inspections and audits to identify potential hazards and take proactive measures to mitigate risks.
- Investigate accidents, incidents, and near misses to determine root causes and implement strategies to prevent future occurrences.
- Advise management on safety compliance issues and provide recommendations for improvement.
Years of required experience indicated below are full-time equivalent years. Full-time equivalent experience means that any experience where working hours were less than 40 hours per week will be prorated in order to meet the equivalency of full-time. We would calculate this by looking at the total hours worked per week, divide this by 40, and then multiply by the total number of months worked. Examples of the proration calculations are:
- 30 hours worked per week for 20 months: (30/40) x 20 months = 15 months full-time equivalent
- 20 hours worked per week for 12 months: (20/40) x 12 months = 6 months full-time equivalent
Experience for both required and desired qualifications can be gained through various combinations of formal professional employment, education, and volunteer experience. See below for how you may qualify.
Required Qualifications: Eight total years of education and experience as follows:
Experience:professional experience in occupational safety and health programs.
Education: in occupational safety and health, safety studies, natural science, business or public administration, education, or allied field
A bachelor’s degree in occupational safety and health, safety studies, natural science, business or public administration, education, or allied field.
Four years of professional experience in occupational safety and health programs.
A master’s degree in occupational safety and health, safety studies, natural science, business or public administration, education, or allied field.
Two years of professional experience in occupational safety and health programs.
Note: Possession of a certification from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Associate Safety Professional (ASP) may be substituted for one year of the above professional work experience requirement.
All experience and education combinations that meet the requirements for this position:
|Possible Combinations||College credit hours or degree
||Years of required experience|
|Combination 1||No college credit hours or degree||8 years of experience|
|Combination 2||30-59 semester or 45-89 quarter credits.||7 years of experience|
|Combination 3||60-89 semester or 90-134 quarter credits (AA degree).||6 years of experience|
|Combination 4||90-119 semester or 135-179 quarter credits.||5 years of experience|
|Combination 5||A bachelor’s degree||4 years of experience|
|Combination 6||A master’s degree or above||2 years of experience|
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment:
Must possess a valid driver’s License.
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- Professional experience directing the work of other professional safety staff.
- Knowledge of federal and Washington state safety requirements.
- Effectively managing multiple tasks/priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Experience working effectively in a customer service environment.
It’s in the applicant’s best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
- A resume outlining your experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position.
- A list of three professional references.
Optional items that are not mandatory for submission but can enhance the demonstration of your skills and abilities:
- Example safety training resources you have created, such as PowerPoint presentations, handouts, infographics, etc.
- Example safety reports you have written, such as safety inspection findings and recommendations, indoor air quality results, etc.
- Example safety incident root cause analysis with recommendations for future prevention.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4131712/safety-officer-safety-officer-3-two-positions