Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: $15-$17 D.O.E.
Redstart seeks candidates that have strong restoration, invasive species management, and forestry interests, and who wish to learn other skills and be part of a diverse, flexible team. We find that we are most fulfilled when the work varies, which happens naturally with each season as we engage in restoration, conservation, and forest management work in Vermont and New Hampshire.
In the spring, technicians will join a crew of 3-6 other members with a primary responsibility to implement habitat restoration and improvement projects, focusing on native tree plantings along rivers and streams. Technicians will be trained on proper tree and shrub care, planting, identification, and post planting stewardship. During the summer, the restoration focus is on treating non-native, terrestrial invasive plants. Technicians must be able to successfully identify and treat common non-native, terrestrial invasive plants. Treatments commonly consist of selective herbicide application (including foliar backpack spraying and cut stump treatments), though some manual treatment methods (pulling, mowing) may also be used. In the fall, upland stream restoration becomes more prevalent, where woody material may be added to create better aquatic habitat and to address flooding concerns, increase resiliency in the face of climate change, and improve water quality. Additional projects in the fall and winter months include timber inventory and plan development, carbon inventory, harvest tree marking, boundary line painting, apple pruning, and timber stand improvement using a chainsaw. Throughout the seasons Redstart engages in traditional small landowner non-industrial forestry work including inventory, planning, and harvest oversight.
In each season, Redstart keeps the work diverse so that employees are always learning and growing their capabilities and careers; the summer and fall season will include some elements of the winter and spring work to accomplish these goals. Technicians will be working on privately-owned properties, as well as lands owned and managed by state or federal agencies, towns, and non-profit organizations.
- A degree (completed or planned) and/or strong interest in the natural sciences including natural resources management, environmental science, forestry, or related area.
- Strong work ethic and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a crew.
- Strong interest in outdoor physical labor.
- Prior knowledge/identification skills of non-native plants – some on site learning is expected.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable means of transportation.
- Basic GIS and GPS skills.
- Willingness to become a certified pesticide applicator in the State of Vermont and New Hampshire.
- Chainsaw safety (Game of Logging levels 1-2 preferred) and/or prior experience using a chainsaw.
Terms of Employment:
- Full-time seasonal, approximately 40 hours/week, with an opportunity for some overtime.
- Positions start at the beginning of April. The duration of the positions is variable.
- Compensation commensurate with experience, with advancement based on performance. Starting rate typically $15-17/hour.
- Basic housing may be available.
About Redstart: Redstart is a growing diversified natural resource consulting and contracting company focused on assisting people, organizations, and communities to address natural resource issues. We strive to balance the needs of people with the need to maintain and enhance the ecological integrity of our forests, fields, and waters. Our services include forest management, invasive plant treatment, riparian restoration, stream and culvert assessment, ecosystem restoration, and community land conservation. Our 1,100 non-industrial forest management clients collectively own 175,000 acres, and other clients include federal, state, and town government agencies, and non-profit organizations. Redstart is based in Corinth, Vermont and is made up of 12 full-time employees and 6 seasonal technicians. Redstart’s web site is http://www.redstartconsulting.com/.