Salary: $21.00 – $24.00 Hourly
Location: Mercer Island, WA
Job Type: Seasonal
Department: Public Works
Job Number: 00144
Assists in maintaining and repairing City parks and natural areas, in order to ensure safety, cleanliness and aesthetic appeal of the park system. Each staff member is expected to perform a wide range of field duties to meet park and customer needs. May also perform other facility maintenance duties as assigned.
Seasonal position from March 1, 2023 through November 30, 2023.
Essential Job Functions
Works independently and with full-time Park Maintenance Team Members to perform routine tasks in City parks, including:
- Ability to work weekends highly desirable
- Turf maintenance – mowing, trimming, and edging grass areas;
- Sports field maintenance – field upkeep and preparations;
- Facility maintenance – garbage and litter removal, restroom cleaning, small repairs and pressure washing;
- Horticultural maintenance – shrub and flower bed trimming and weeding;
- Facility repair – carpentry and other skills necessary to make repairs to park facilities;
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High school education or equivalent.
- One or more year of experience in landscape field desired.
- Good verbal communication skills in the English language (active listening and feedback) as well as effective interpersonal and customer relation skills are essential in a team environment. Basic writing skills are required, along with the ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to practice safety by wearing appropriate protective clothing, using safety equipment, and follow good housekeeping and safety procedures.
- Must provide and wear steel-toed safety boots.
- Ability to work outdoors during all types of weather conditions.
- Must have regular and predictable work attendance to fulfill the essential functions of the job.
- Work well with others, stay on task, and follow written or verbal direction from Team members, Crew Leads and Foreman.
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications desired.
- Valid WA State Driver’s License with a driving record free from frequent or serious violations. A three (3) year driving record abstract must be submitted prior to hire.
- CPR and First Aid certification is required within 30 days of hire.
- Specific positions may have other certification requirements.
Working Conditions & Physical Abilities
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Various types of tools and equipment are used including, but not limited to: Power wheelbarrow, push mower, riding mower, chainsaw, line trimmer, power hedger, various hand tools, leaf blower, backpack sprayer, and traffic control devices.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ABILITIES
Seasonal employees’ risk physical hazards from working in forests and other remote locations, around traffic, heavy machinery, and heights. Exposure to noise, vibration, hazardous and toxic materials is routine. Work requires physical strength and agility necessary to perform heavy manual labor under all kinds of weather conditions. Work activities include combinations of sitting, standing, and walking and the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds as required. Seasonal employees must be able to see, hear and smell in order to detect problems and be responsive to their own safety, as well as that of fellow employee. Seasonal employees must follow appropriate safety procedures and use of protective clothing and equipment including, steel-toed shoes and boots (must provide own steel-toed boots/shoes), hard hats, eye/ear protection, rain gear, gloves, traffic control equipment. Maintenance teams operate in a smoke and drug free work environment for their health, safety, and productivity, as well as that of their customers.
The City of Mercer Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity at all levels of our workforce and are committed to fostering an inclusive environment by recruiting talented individuals from various backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.