Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: $85/day
Deadline: Jul 31, 2023
YMCA Camp Colman is hiring for our Fall season! With a mile of private beach, views of the Olympic mountains, and access to three National Parks within a three hour drive, Colman offers some of the best parts of the Pacific Northwest! YMCA Camp Colman Outdoor Environmental Education Program Instructors will prepare lesson plans, teach classes in marine science, forest ecology, outdoor wilderness skills and challenge education, facilitate the low/high ropes course and climbing tower, and lead activities in the marine center and touch tank, beach front, canoeing and row boating, archery, arts & crafts, night hikes and campfires. Positions are available during the spring (mid February to June) and fall season (August through mid-November), with flexible start/end dates. Compensation starts at $85/day, plus on-site staff housing with WiFi access and shared kitchen (including a weekly food allowance), meals in the camp lodge when programs are running, use of camp facilities and gear when not in use (sea kayaks, canoes, climbing tower, and so much more), Y membership, and experiencing a powerful, intimate community.
The YMCA of Greater Seattle is committed to providing a positive atmosphere that prioritizes safety and inclusivity for all employees. The YMCA of Greater Seattle has implemented safety standards and protocols related to preventative health measures based on CDC and local health department guidelines.
- Act as part of the total camp staff team to provide a quality outdoor education program to school groups and weekend family camps.
- Actively contribute to the camp staff team by communicating ideas and concerns openly, by making solution-oriented suggestions, by exhibiting a service-minded attitude, by being an appropriate role model, and by participating in staff meetings.
- Prepare and teach classes in Environmental Education, Challenge Education, Outdoor Living Skills, and or Science-based classes daily as assigned.
- Facilitate activities (crafts, archery, row boating, large group games, campfires, etc.) during the daily Open Recreation period and Evening Activity period as assigned.
- Cooperate with Program Directors to provide activities for weekend groups.
- Model and enforce all camp policies (including all practices for COVID prevention). Model a positive, service-minded attitude.
- Be consistently on time for all meals, classes, and other activities.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Ensure that all camp resource materials and equipment are kept orderly, safe, and well-maintained.
- Ensure high standards of housekeeping in all cabins, facilities, staff housing, program areas, bathrooms and main lodge. Monitor and re-stock housekeeping supplies as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates at a seasonal residential camp, both inside and outdoors.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift and store supplies, up to 50 pounds.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time, seasonal position. The usual camp workweek is five day on and one day off, including training, staff meetings, and regular duties. This position is exempt from minimum wage and overtime regulations per State of Washington wage and hour law.
This position is required to live onsite at camp. All travel required for work will be done by YMCA Authorized Drivers.
- 19 years of age or older.
- At least one season of experience teaching environmental education.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
Other combinations of applicable education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Current state approved first aid certification*
- Current state approved CPR certification*
- BA/BS degree in related field or equivalent experience preferred. Other applicable education, training, and experience, which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position will be considered.
- Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with, diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.). Ability to speak any language in addition to English may be helpful.
- Experience with anti-racism practices and coalition building.
HOW TO APPLY