Salary: $18.24 – $23.07 Hourly
Location: WA 98408, WA
Job Type: Seasonal, less than 6 months
Job Number: MaintAsstGH2023
Department: Parks and Recreation
Opening Date: 02/01/2023
Closing Date: Continuous
Maintenance Assistant I Pay Range – $18.24 – $20.34
Maintenance Assistant II Pay Range – $20.92 – $23.07
Metro Parks Tacoma (MPT) is a CAPRA-accredited and AZA-accredited, independent park district that leads efforts to build a healthy, sustainable community. Located in Tacoma, Washington, Metro Parks’ mission is to create healthy opportunities to play, learn, and grow. The independent park district spans the city providing a wide range of life-enriching destinations and services, including 70+ parks, 80+ miles of trails, 1,000+ acres of urban forest, 66 playgrounds, four community centers, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, Northwest Trek Wildlife Park, Point Defiance Park, and much more. Our work is guided by eight core values that are the foundation of our actions and goals: innovation, excellence, equity, inclusiveness, sustainability, accountability, safety, and fun.
Why You’ll Love it Here
Come work with us and work where you play! You will contribute to the overall vitality and well-being of your community when you work for Metro Parks Tacoma, and you’ll do so as part of a supportive team of committed, passionate, and mission-driven professionals. The people of Metro Parks are the key to its success, and you just might be the next great addition to our team. On top of that, you’ll wake each day knowing that you’re helping make Tacoma a great place to call home.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, participate in the maintenance of Park District grounds, buildings and facilities in an assigned division or area.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Observe applicable safety requirements, use safety equipment provided, implement appropriate safety practices at all times and report immediately any unsafe working conditions or hazards.
- Assist with routine building and ground maintenance.
- Assist in performing custodial and cleanup functions as required.
- Clean windows, restrooms, toilets, sinks, mirrors and walls.
- Transplant, fertilize, water, trim and prune shrubs, trees and flowers as assigned.
- Assist with setting and cleaning conservatory plant displays.
- Answer questions and provide other customer service duties
- Sweep and blow debris from walks and driveways.
- Gather and remove trash from grounds..
- Move furniture, equipment and other objects as required
- Loading and Unloading plant delivery van
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Water, fertilize, transplant a variety of greenhouse crops
- Assist with Plant sales on and offsite
- Assist in the monitoring and removal of plant pests using IPM strategies.
- Use a variety of Point-of-Sale systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT I AND MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT II:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to operate a variety of hand tools and maintenance equipment to perform assigned tasks.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Must have good oral communication skills
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Must be able to work flexible schedule to include weekends and/or holidays as needed
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT II ONLY:
- Must have a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record (must attach a 5 year driving abstract or complete motor vehicle report to application in order to be considered for the Maint Asst II position, failure to attach abstract will result in applicant only being considered for the Maint Asst I position)
Indoor, outdoor and shop greenhouse work environment.
Fumes, dust, pollen, and noise from equipment operation.
Emergency call-out, extreme temperatures and humidity.
Heavy Lifting objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
Bending at the waist.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of specialized equipment and hand and power tools.
Sitting for extended periods of time while operating grounds equipment.
Standing and walking for extended periods of time on concrete
Walking over rough or uneven surfaces.
Working with machinery having sharp moving parts
Pollen and other known plant allergens for those with sensitivity.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/metroparkstacoma/jobs/3900888/maintenance-assistant-i-ii-greenhouse