Salary: $63,216.00 – $85,020.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Job Number: 23DOT-HQ-00191
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Opening Date: 05/19/2023
Closing Date: 6/11/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a Transportation Engineer 2 (TE2) to serve as the LiDAR Mapping Engineer in the Headquarters Survey & Mapping Office. This position processes terrestrial, static, aerial, mobile Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR), and photogrammetric mapping. The top candidate will assist in data management of the Enterprise Mobile LiDAR data program and support of the WSDOT Monument Database. This incumbent will act as liaison for the Geodetic Survey Office and its customers, both internal and external to WSDOT. This position contributes to the Agency mission by providing specialized survey control and mapping products essential to the design and construction of capital projects and monitoring needs.
What to Expect
This position provides services to customers located throughout the state. Therefore, travel may be required sporadically or on an as needed basis.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the LiDAR Mapping Engineer will:
- Extract point and vector information from LiDAR point clouds using various tools such as TopoDOT.
- Quality check point cloud data.
- Export to Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and classify the resulting points and vectors to appropriate CAD levels per WSDOT standards.
- Map LiDAR data for the development of InRoads digital terrain model (DTM) surfaces and assists in generating terrains for OpenRoads Designer.
- Compile and quality check precise 2D and 3D planimetric, topographic, DTM, and digital elevation model (DEM) data from aerial photography and active remote sensing devices into CAD files using Socet Set and other software.
- Assist in providing training for statewide staff to process and deliver data from LiDAR and other sources managed by the Survey & Mapping Office.
- Provide QC for the Enterprise Mobile LiDAR (EML) programs statewide point cloud and imagery collection deliverables.
- In support of the Geodetic Survey Engineer, may direct and/or train staff in processing, compiling, and managing Survey & Mapping related data.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Two (2) years as a Transportation Technician 3 or equivalent such as experience with land survey data processing/CAD
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or closely related field
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or Land Surveyor-In Training (LSIT).
The following are also required:
- Two (2) years working with static/mobile LiDAR data and applications.
- Ability to travel statewide.
- Possess a valid state driver’s license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Two (2) years of working knowledge of Point Cloud Processing Software such as TopoDOT, PolyWorks and Cyclone point cloud, which includes alignment techniques, data extraction and interpretation.
- Working knowledge and ability to analyze structural LiDAR mapping results and develop specialty reports such as: bridge clearance and storm sewer inverts.
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4050489/lidar-mapping-engineer-te2. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.