Salary: $58,104.00 – $78,120.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Closing Date: 8/6/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Here is a chance to work with some of the best Cadastral Surveyors in the Pacific Northwest. Do you like adventure, the great outdoors, history and technology? The Department of Natural Resources Land Surveyor 2 position is just the job for you. This position is part of a two person crew, responsible for providing land boundary and mapping for the Department of Natural Resources. The field work accounts for the majority of duties and involves corner reconnaissance, searching for U.S. General Land Office (GLO) original evidence, searching for evidence of privately established corner monuments, brushing line, traversing, corner setting, mapping, and using state of the art survey grade Global Positioning System equipment and fully robotic total stations, field data collection software and office software.
A DNR Survey Party Chief performs skilled land survey work in the field and office under the direction of a licensed land surveyor. As part of a team of five in our Tumwater Office this position is the lead of one of two, two person field crews providing land boundary and mapping for the Department of Natural Resources; the work is mostly located in the forests of the Puget Sound and Southwest Washington areas with travel to other parts of the state as needed.
This position has both field and office responsibilities; typically acts as the field party chief, planning and executing high precision surveys of State land boundaries, researching survey records, calculating corner positions searching for boundary evidence, monumenting land corners and posting property lines. In the office performs calculations and preliminary drafting of Boundary and Topographic Survey maps from field survey notes and data collection files, analyzes record survey data and assists in the documentation of corner evidence for inclusion on Records of Surveys and Land Corner Records.
- Four+ years of experience performing land survey work, including two years as a skilled land survey technician at Engineering Aide 3 or equivalent. Two years of college work with a major emphasis in forestry, engineering or other curriculum that contained courses in boundary and topographic surveying may be substituted for two years’ experience.
- Knowledge of: Land surveying and mapping principles, procedures and practices; basic statutes and rules pertaining to locating, defining, and establishing corners lines and boundaries of land. Computer skills and applications; land records management; mathematics through trigonometry and geometry, state plane coordinate systems, supervision and management practices.
- Ability to perform journey level land survey work; plan and execute complex and high precision surveying projects; work in rough rugged terrain in all kinds of weather; withstand long hours at the computer; potential for travel for extended periods.
- Good verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrates the ability to resolve conflicts, write effectively, and communicate with diverse groups both internal and external.
- DNR Core Competencies:
- Personal Accountability
- Value Others
- Compassionate Communication
- Inspire Others
- Commitment to Excellence
Special Requirements and Conditions of Employment:
- The position’s assigned duty station is the DNR Tumwater Compound. Projects can be on any parcel of State Lands administered by DNR, this is mostly located in the South Puget Sound area of Washington, including King, Kitsap, Mason, Pierce, Thurston, Counties, along with a portion of Lewis County.
- The ability to perform the duties of this position outdoors in all terrain and weather conditions, with or without reasonable accommodations
- There is a potential for travel and for extended periods depending on project locations. The employee is eligible for per diem for meals and lodging costs when in travel status, except when provided.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at time of hire.
- A valid unrestricted driver’s license and have two years of driving experience. This position requires driving as an essential function. Finalists and/or interview candidates will be asked to provide a driving record from all states in which they have held a license during the past three years.
- Experience analyzing land and title records.
- Knowledge and experience using ESRI GIS software.
- Knowledge and experience using AutoCAD with land survey extensions such as Carlson Survey.
- To be considered you must apply online at www.careers.wa.gov.
- Attach a letter of interest describing how your experience and qualifications relate to the position profile and the position required, desired and special requirements.
- Attach a resume describing your experience and qualifications.
- Provide three to five professional references – you may attach a document, use the References text field in the online application, or include with resume.
- Important: Do not attach any documents that include photos or private information (social security number, year of birth, etc.).
- Complete all supplemental questions.
- Candidates that move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted via email from email@example.com with interview information/scheduling instructions. Please monitor the email listed in your application materials and check your junk email folder to ensure you receive those communications.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4130202/land-surveyor-2