Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: $6,405/Month
Deadline: May 15, 2023
The person who fills this position will support the Alaska Fisheries Science Center’s Midwater Assessment and Conservation Engineering program in their efforts to develop machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) methods for automated review of video collected in fishing gear for support of bycatch mitigation research. This person will be responsible for advancing the tracking and counting of salmon. This may include implementing and evaluating methods to track salmon, preparing the data outputs from detection models for salmon tracking, and refining Python software to count salmon using detection and tracking.
Group Definition: Database Management Specialists develop and administer large-scale, multi-agency database systems. They have responsibility for maintenance, tuning, running backup and recovery, growing the system, administering permissions and security, and assuring continuous system availability.
Essential Functions: (The functions listed are characteristic of the type and level of work associated with this group and pay band. They are not all-inclusive. Individual positions may perform some or all, as well as other similar work.)
- Design, develop, and maintain data management systems that meet current and future business requirements.
- Design, develop and maintain databases. Recommend new or modified standards, methods, and procedures.
- Define, allocate, and modify storage capacity.
- Develop data dictionaries, data models, metadata repositories, and other data management tools.
- Produce database design schema for integrating source data into data management systems.
- Ensure data compliance with data exchange formats and database structure.
- Monitor and optimize database performance and tune database operations.
- Troubleshoot database problems.
- Advise participating state and tribal agencies of new database features, provide technical guidance, and assist with database design and implementation.
- Generate complex queries and reports. Oversee data distribution systems, including user interface and reporting capabilities.
- Participate in the design of data mining and data warehousing systems.
- Refine deep-learning detection model & methods.
- Pre-process detection outputs prior to tracking.
- Evaluate other state-of-art tracking methods.
- Incorporate new detection and tracking models into the custom Python package for salmon counting.
- Evaluate salmon counting with new detection or tracking methods.
- Improve the salmon counting methods.
- Integrate detection and tracking models into annotation software.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
Candidates must present one year of Specialized Experience which demonstrates:
- Knowledge of the customary approaches, techniques, and requirements appropriate to database management;
- Knowledge of planning sequences necessary to accomplish assignments where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls; and
- Adaptation of guidelines or precedents to the needs of the assignment.
- Knowledge of computer programming, computer vision & image processing, and deep-learning.
- Problem-solving, organization, oral & written communication skills.
The Specialized Experience must equip the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, the Specialized Experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower level in the normal line of progression position.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
At the lower end of the range, the employee has broad knowledge of and ability to apply:
- Database management concepts, principles, and methods including database logical and physical design, normalization, storage capacity management, and back up and recovery.
- Data flow design and business process design.
- Sources, characteristics, and uses of the organization’s data assets
- Database management systems, query languages, table relationships, and views.
- Data mining and data warehousing principles.
- The characteristics of physical and virtual data storage media.
- Data administration and data standardization policies and standards in developing and managing large-scale, multi-agency databases.
- Computer programming knowledge and modern programming practices and standards to develop custom software to solve technical problems.
- Object detection and tracking including deep-learning methods.
At the upper end of the range, the employee uses mastery-level knowledge, skills and abilities in the above areas.
Additional Mandatory/Desirable Skills: (A pick list. Supervisor makes selection and indicates whether M or D for candidate to possess at time of hire.)
Database software packages: Access, MySQL, Prostgress
Programming languages: Python (M), VB, C++
Web authoring tools: Visual Studio
Supervisory Controls: The supervisor provides project goals, objectives, priorities, and deadlines. The employee proceeds independently, using experience and knowledge to complete objectives. The employee reports periodically on work progress and potentially controversial matters. Work is expected to be complete, accurate, and timely. It is reviewed for soundness of overall approach and effectiveness in meeting requirements or producing expected results.
Guidelines: Guidelines include project level documents, data exchange standards, and system maintenance procedures. The guidelines are general in nature and address policies, procedures, and standards. Equipment and software manuals and technical documentation are available.
Precedents are available outlining the preferred approach to more general problems or issues. The employee uses judgment in determining which appropriate alternatives should be used, in interpreting and adapting guidelines to specific situations or problems, in analyzing results, and in making changes.
HOW TO APPLY
To see all available jobs and to apply, visit https://www.psmfc.org/psmfc-info/careers