We are currently recruiting for an Inventory Purchasing Specialist II at our West Point Treatment Plant. The responsibilities of this position include maintaining specialized inventory, purchasing goods and services and ensuring documentation and inventory control. Duties also include stocking shelves, unloading trucks, cleaning the warehouse and picking up and delivering items.
The work associated with this position will primarily be performed onsite; this is not a telework position. Employees must reside in WA state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE: This position is open to all qualified applicants. First priority will be given to S.E.I.U., Wastewater Local 925 candidates.
WORK LOCATION: West Point Treatment Plant – 1400 Discovery Park Blvd, Seattle, WA 98199
WORK SCHEDULE: This full-time position works a 40-hour work week. This position is covered under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible.
- Job Duties
The incumbents in this classification may perform all the functions of Level I in addition to the following:
- Purchase goods, commodities and services. Obtain price quotes, research vendor sources, and select vendors for purchase of standard parts, materials, supplies, tools and services. Conduct price comparisons to identify savings.
- Coordinate with central purchasing office. Prepare requests for purchasing authorization/limited procurement requisitions for minority/women business enterprises. Prepare change order requests. Assist with the preparation and review of bid specifications.
- Receive, analyze and order critical and non-standard requests. Process standard non-inventory items. Update current computerized and manual pricing information.
- Expedite operational orders/overdue/back orders.
- Solve problems with accounts payable invoicing errors. Resolve discrepancies. Review billings for accuracy.
- Manage inventory warehousing disbursements and document stock levels, process inventory purchases, perform cycle counts, perform physical inventory audits, ship and receive from warehouse, and perform material handling. Acknowledge receipt of goods and services. Maintain adequate supplies to meet user needs.
- Maintain computerized internal purchasing/inventory records and information system. Input and research inventory and direct purchases, disbursements, inventory adjustments and the history of parts use. Update computer master files.
- Monitor the use, storage and handling of hazardous materials.
- Issue and maintain special tools and equipment.
- Recommend strategies for surplus, sale and salvage of obsolete inventory items; gather items.
- Help train new personnel.
- Help track warranties and documentation.
- Pick up and deliver items as required. Load and unload as required.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Demonstrated increasingly responsible industrial experience in purchasing, where the primary duty was purchasing, working with procurement, and researching vendor contracts
- Demonstrated increasingly responsible industrial experience in basic accounting and bookkeeping principles
- Demonstrated increasingly responsible industrial experience in basic warehousing equipment and supplies
- Demonstrated increasingly responsible industrial experience in general office procedures and policies
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and interpersonal skills
- Basic computer and mathematics skills
- Ability to lift and move items weighing up to 50 pounds
Skill in interpreting and evaluating manuals and catalogs
- Skill in operating forklift and other material handling equipment
- Washington State Driver’s License
- Forklift Operator Certification
- Supplemental Information
Application and Selection Process: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness including online application, cover letter and resume, and responsiveness to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more panel interviews. Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position.
- King County Application
- Cover Letter
- Responses to supplemental questions
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position is represented by S.E.I.U., Wastewater Local 925.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Rodney O. Dungo
Human Resource Analyst
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State’s best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we’re changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation’s best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our “True North“, we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles–we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.