Salary: $60,190.00 – $89,271.00 Annually
Location: King County – Seattle – Other, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 23DOT-NWR-80505m
Closing: 4/5/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking multiple Inspectors to support the Northwest Region of Washington state and the Quality Verification team by performing various inspections on major design build projects throughout the region. The Inspector is responsible for conducting a wide variety of quality verification inspections on bridges and structures, stormwater drains, traffic controls, fire suppression methods, signing, illumination, etcetera, to ensure compliance, mitigate risks, and measure the success of the Design-Build Office’s Quality Assurance program. The incumbent of this position will act as a representative for WSDOT in relations with the Design-Builders Quality Control and Assurance staff.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Inspector will:
- Perform a variety of quality verification inspections to ensure compliance with contract requirements, plans, permits, and commitments.
- Monitor construction schedules, delays, and potential change order issues in coordination with the Design-Builder Quality Assurance team.
- Advise and resolve issues involving public safety and quality assurance.
- Determine quality verification inspection needs and develop the criteria for audits.
- Document and evaluate nonconformance issues and reports for accuracy and resolution.
- Assist the State Quality Verification Materials Engineer in coordinating the state quality verification tests, research, and materials documentation.
- Gather material samples from field visits for laboratory testing.
- Perform on-site tests including, but not limited to, soil density, aggregate, slump, air entrainment, grout, and HMA mix.
- Record test data, interpret results, and produce reports on findings.
The Inspector position is a Transportation Engineer 2 (TE2) within the state classification series. However, the hiring manager reserves the right to fill the position at a lower level (TE1) depending on qualifications, providing an opportunity for an individual to gain the required experience on the job as part of a formal “in-training” plan.
To be considered for this opportunity at the TE1 level the following are required:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, structural, or transportation engineering.
To be considered for this opportunity at the TE2 level, the following are required:
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT)
One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1, or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1, or equivalent.
- Master’s degree in civil engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, soils mechanics, or traffic.
In addition to the above, the following are also required:
- Ability to exercise sound engineering judgement and interpret and analyze construction contract plans, specifications, permits, and other documentation for conformance with policies, regulations, and standards.
- Strong understanding of construction practices and engineering principles.
- Fluency in the use of the following computer applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to express complex concepts clearly and concisely.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle safely and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to complete assignments in an independent manner with only spot-check supervision.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Design-Build experience, performing a variety of state quality verification inspection and material testing duties.
- Experience preparing quality verification audits on inspected work and quality control/assurance processes.
- Fluency in the use of the following computer applications: Primavera Contract Manager, Unifier, and SharePoint.
- Familiarity with the following standards: WSDOT, SDOT, MUTCD, and AASHTO.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Certificate.
- Qualified tester status in aggregate, concrete, and hot mix asphalt density modules.
- In addition to base salary, employees may be entitled to other forms of compensation depending on the type, duties, or location of the position. For union-represented positions, more information on other forms of compensation can be found in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements. Information on other compensation types for non-represented positions can be found in Chapter 357-28 of the Washington Administrative Code.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- The salary listed includes the legislative approved 5% salary premium for positions in King County.
- Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 357-16-197 mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 12 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
To be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the “APPLY” button – Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required to apply to this opportunity.
*WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Amanda Strebeck, at email@example.com . Please be sure to reference 23DOT-NWR-80505 in the subject line.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/3958940/inspector-transportation-engineer-2-in-training