Salary: $46,966.00 – $57,077.00 Annually
Location: Snohomish County – Everett, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Job Number: 23DOT-NWR-10630
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Division: Northwest Region
Opening Date: 05/18/2023
Closing Date: 5/31/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an excellent entry-level career building opportunity for someone who thrives in working with their hands and has a passion for bridges. The incumbent will work independently to maintain daily operations of the SR529 Draw Bridges on Steamboat Slough and Snohomish River. The main undertaking of this role is moveable span bridge operations.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Bridge Tender will:
- Responsible for the safe operation of the SR529 Draw Bridges on Steamboat Slough and Snohomish River in line with Coast Guard US Code 33, Chapter 11 pertaining to drawbridges over navigable waters.
- Perform draw bridge maintenance/ housekeeping.
- Perform routine cleaning, and painting bridge areas and/or state structures.
- Perform traffic control, flagging, preventative maintenance, simple repairs, and help test equipment.
- Act as an emergency responder when needed.
- Work rotating shifts, 10 days on, 4 days off, day, swing, graveyard.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Valid Driver’s license
- Work at heights on catwalks over water
- Ability to move and manipulate 50lbs.
- Ability to effectively work with other employees, around the public and around the homeless and camps.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Experience working around a marine/bodies of water environment.
- Construction experience
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4047830/highway-maintenance-worker-1-bridge-tender. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.