Salary: $5,268.00 – $6,105.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time – Permanent
Job Number: 2023-06188
Department: Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
Opening Date: 05/05/2023
Closing Date: 6/18/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Capital & Asset Management Program (CAMP)
This recruitment has been posted until June 18, 2023 – first review of applications will be on May 19, 2023. Submit your application materials as soon as possible. This recruitment may be closed at any time.
Mentor skilled staff in the transportation and operation of heavy equipment to ensure projects meet quality, safety standards, and deadlines! Lead a team in projects such as the maintenance of gravel roads for statewide public fishing access sites and wildlife areas, installation of engineered log jams, stream enhancements, erosion control, removal and installation of boat ramps, spawning channels, and wetland restoration and enhancements.
With that in mind,
Picture yourself assisting in the preparation, scheduling, and supervision of the work layout for the maintenance and construction at facilities, access sites, and wildlife areas.
This is an opportunity to inspect, operate, and transport all types of heavy earthmoving equipment including but not limited to: commercial combination dump trucks and trailers, wheel loaders, dozers, track excavators, power wheelbarrows, boom trucks, backhoes, all-terrain forklifts, and personnel lifts.
With your experience you will direct the layout of a boat ramp profiles, calculate desired slope, excavate to desired grade, and anchor ramps to native ground with Manta Ray anchors.
The optimal applicants with demonstrated values matching those of WDFW: Accountability, Service, Professionalism, Integrity, Respect, and Empathy (ASPIRE).
Our Heavy Construction Equipment Project Leader,
Heavy Construction Equipment Operation and Maintenance:
- Clear, remove, and transport mud and debris from on-site hatchery abatement ponds, intake structures, demolition projects and general construction tasks using excavators, boom trucks, backhoes, and dump trucks.
- Picks up, transports , and delivers building materials using commercial truck and trailer combinations.
- Operate a self-propelled grader to spread and level dirt, gravel, and stone, to grade specifications in construction and maintenance of earthwork structures, such as access roads, parking lots, dikes, and temporary roads.
- Interpret blueprints, drawings, and specifications.
- Effectively communicates project scope and expectations to a crew by translating general work requirements into a prioritized plan for individual tasks and assignments.
- Conduct meetings to discuss daily milestones and safety precautions.
- Determine materials, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), equipment, and manpower needed and ensures its availability.
- Identify needs and deficiencies in the plan/schedule and reports these to the Construction and Maintenance Project Supervisor.
- Installs structures, such as agency signage, gates, and kiosks.
- Work Setting, including hazards:
- Duties are performed at construction sites on hatchery and wildlife areas – some tasks involve working at a desk on a computer.
- Hazards include working on rough terrain, riverbanks, slippery slopes, and other surfaces, confined and difficult to reach spaces, and working and driving in all types of weather conditions, including extreme heat, rain, or snow.
- Bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, pushing, pulling, and lifting of 50 pounds of tools and equipment repetitively when loading and unloading trucks or moving materials around project site.
- Must be able to negotiate water in emergency situations.
- 6:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday – Thursday.
- Overtime as needed/requested, this may include overnight stays and evening and weekend work.
- Travel Requirements:
- Travel required 80-90% depending on season.
- Tools and Equipment:
- Computers, basic hand tools, power tools such as drills, roto hammers, cut off saws, circular saws, hydraulic punch, metal band saws, welders, cutting torch, chainsaws, trailers, dewatering and recirculating pumps, powered motors for automotive and heavy equipment.
- Customer Interactions:
- Frequent interactions varying between Federal, Local, Inter-Agency, and Intra-Agency customers and vendors.
Four (4) years of experience in the operation of heavy equipment.
Including one (1) or more of the following:
- Two (2) years of vocational training in heavy equipment, commercial plumbing, general construction, carpentry, concrete, or a similarly related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in the construction or building trades.
- Two (2) years as a Maintenance Mechanic 1 or a higher level.
- Two (2) years of similarly related experience.
- Knowledge of common methods, practices, and materials used in repairing buildings, mechanical equipment, and building facilities.
- Ability to use hand and power tools with reasonable degree of skill, work safely, perform work from oral and written instructions without direct supervision and perform heavy manual tasks.
- Proficiently read and work from blueprints, plans, and sketches – estimate materials and time needed to complete jobs.
- A valid driver’s license recognized by the state of Washington and acceptable driving record.
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment:
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) endorsement with current Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
- Knowledge of State and Agency policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Experience with GPS controlled heavy equipment.
- Boom truck certification.
- Forklift Operation certification.
- Tanker Endorsement.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification.
Please note: Failure to follow the instructions below may lead to disqualification. In order to successfully apply for this position, you MUST complete your profile at www.careers.wa.gov and attach the following to your profile before completing the online application:
- A cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications of this position (Generic cover letter will not be accepted).
- A current resume.
- Three professional references.
For more information and to apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/4031320/heavy-construction-equipment-construction-maintenance-project-lead-permanen