Job Type: Temporary
Salary Details: $28 to $32 per hour
Deadline: May 21, 2023
The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) is hiring a Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist. This person will join a growing team of environmental professionals based out of our headquarters at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado.
The GIS Specialist will collaborate with other CEMML team members to manage geospatial data and products for a variety of cultural and natural resource projects. Responsibilities will include developing simple to complex Survey123 forms, creating and maintaining ArcGIS Experience Builder apps, managing data in ArcGIS Online, using ArcGIS Hub Premium to manage deliverables and to collaborate with project stakeholders, geodatabase management, cartography, document production (e.g., writing, editing, formatting), creating automated workflows with Microsoft Power Automate, administering work to junior staff, and attending stakeholder meetings. The opportunity to participate in field work and other tasks may arise. Both independent and collaborative group work will be required.
The ideal candidate for this position is a motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic who is dedicated to producing exceptional deliverables. A background in cultural or natural resource management and demonstrated experience utilizing GIS to effectively manage field survey data is required. Experience working on military lands, knowledge of natural and cultural resource regulatory policy, and experience with Department of Defense GIS data models and standards (e.g. Air Force Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment [SDSFIE]; Federal Geographic Data Committee’s [FGDC] Content Standard for Digital Spatial Metadata [CSDGM]) are desired.
This position is full time (40 hours/week). Our office operates on a hybrid schedule that requires at least three office and up to two remote days per week. Limited overnight travel will be required.
This position will be a temporary, 9-month Non-Student Hourly classification eligible for medical, limited sick leave, and retirement benefits. Opportunity to be hired as an Administration Professional eligible for our full benefit package will be based upon performance and future funding. Please visit https://hr.colostate.edu/current-employees/benefits/to learn more about Colorado State University’s benefit packages.
The successful candidate must meet the minimum qualifications listed below.
- B.S./B.A. in Natural Resources Management, Archaeology, Geography, or a related field PLUS at least three years of relevant professional experience
- Expertise in ArcGIS (ArcMap 10.x and ArcPro 2.x), Survey123, and ArcGIS Online
- Expertise in managing cultural and natural resource survey data with GIS
- Expertise in managing complex ArcGIS geodatabases; including feature class development, relationship classes, and completion of metadata
- Experience preparing end-user documentation (how-to guides, standard operating procedures, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 Office apps and cloud services (Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to pass a background check
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date
- The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by the proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position
- M.S. in in Natural Resources Management, Archaeology, Geography, or a related field
- Experience with ArcGIS Hub Premium, Experience Builder, and Microsoft Power Automate
- At least two years of experience with cultural and/or natural resource management on military lands
- Working knowledge of cultural and/or natural resource-related regulatory policy
- Experience with Department of Defense GIS data models and standards (e.g. Air Force Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment [SDSFIE]; Federal Geographic Data Committee’s [FGDC] Content Standard for Digital Spatial Metadata [CSDGM])
PAY RATE AND EMPLOYMENT TERM
Pay rate is $28 to $32 per hour. This is a full-time (40 hours/week), nine-month Non-Student Hourly appointment.
This is a Non-Student Hourly position and is eligible for medical, limited sick leave, and retirement benefits. Dependent upon future funding, this position may be hired on a competitive basis as an Administrative Professional. Please visit https://hr.colostate.edu/currentemployees/benefits/to learn more about Colorado State University’s benefit packages.
This position is associated with CEMML’s main office on Colorado State University’s campus in Fort Collins, Colorado. Applicants must be able to work from the office a minimum of three days per week.
CEMML is a research, education, and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University. CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within Colorado State University to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration apply no later than 21 May 2023. To be considered, applicants must meet the minimum qualifications listed in this announcement. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of the following items:
Cover letter (no more than 1 page, single-sided)
Resume (no more than 4 pages, single-sided)
Copy of transcripts for each degree earned or being pursued among those listed under qualifications (unofficial is acceptable)
Applicants should combine all application materials into one, clearly labeled document and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference GIS Specialist in the subject line.