- Position Summary
Why It’s a Great Opportunity:
As an experienced, creative Geographic Information System (GIS) Programmer/Engineer professional with proven technical skills and a consultative mindset, you will focus on implementing complex technical solutions and provide GIS programming, analysis, and system implementation/integration for both internal County departments and regional GIS partners.
You will be providing GIS programming expertise, maintaining GIS enterprise systems, and helping to set future directions in a changing GIS technology world. You will immediately learn the existing ESRI GIS platform and application maintenance needs, and also help with a GIS migration to a new virtual platform and ArcGIS Pro. (See below for potential projects)Why It’s a Great Department:Pierce County is a national IT leader in delivering public services through innovation. Our diverse technology solutions are all supported by a robust hybrid infrastructure of on-premises and cloud-based solutions and a secure network. IT and the Spatial Services unit, which includes GIS and Enterprise Asset Management, promotes a positive teamwork-based approach.This is not your typical government IT job and is just as competitive as some of our local heavy weights. We focus on work life balance and support a continuous learning mindset for employee development. The work you do matters because Pierce County public services are provided through and supported by the technologies built, operated, and maintained by our team. You can directly see the impact of your work.
How to be Successful in the Role:
With the rapidly changing IT environment, we need someone who is strong technically as well as adaptable, a life long learner responsive to customer needs, yet professional. Teamwork, creative, problem solving and trouble shooting, anticipating needs and confidence in addition to your technical skills will help you be successful.
Your Future in this Role: The IT Division has access to numerous training opportunities, which include peer, industry, vendor, and official Pierce County training as well as access to established procedures, standards, practices, and system documentation. Our training program is designed to help you develop as both a professional in your role as a GIS Programmer/Engineer and as a Pierce County employee. Your work will directly impact your community and it offers a great foundation for future positions within the IT Division and Pierce County.
- Perform mid-level professional technical services in GIS technology areas including application development, GIS analysis, system implementation and project management.
- Provide application management including design, development, implementation and maintenance, documentation and use of code repositories, creation and maintenance of procedural documentation, training for user department staff and user support as needed.
- Program, maintain, enhance, integrate and support GIS business systems/programs.
- Successfully troubleshoot system and application issues and identify creative solutions to answer needs.
- Project management for data and application development projects including geodatabase design, workflow development, metadata development and data automation.
- Assist senior GIS staff on large scale or complex projects.
- New web application development
- Maintenance and feature enhancements of existing web applications
- Play a lead role in actual execution of Enterprise GIS move to Nutanix(new virtual environment). Note: Considerable work has already been done to prepare for this project implementation. Several Spatial Services and IT team members will be involved.
- Project planning & management
- Evaluate and provide lead-level technical solutions to any new issues that arise during deployment of ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Pro, Sql Server
- Web service development to support non-GIS centric applications.
- Constant research and familiarization with new technology solutions to answer requirements throughout the county.
- Regular upgrades to next version of ArcGIS Desktop
- Develop python scripts and applications using various python api’s and frameworks as needed to support the Enterprise GIS platform
- Improve code deployment, coding style, documentation and code management processes
A classification job description with a more detailed list of essential functions and knowledge, skills, and abilities can be found here.
Recruiting Requirements aka what we hope to see on Your Resume:
- Bachelors Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, Geography or related field AND
- Four or more years of Information Technology/GIS experience
- Additional education or experience may substitute for the recruiting requirements
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in GIS/asset management systems and Esri platform
- Positions in specific program areas may require program-related experience, education, and/or training
- As a condition of employment, the applicant will need to authorize and complete a background check. Information received from the background check is reviewed case-by-case and will not necessarily remove an applicant from consideration
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required when travel is required of the position
- Due to COVID, the selected candidate will temporarily work remotely until a “to be determined” date
- Supplemental Information
To be considered for this opportunity please:
- Complete and submit an online Pierce County Employment Application by selecting “APPLY” above or go to: www.piercecountywa.org/jobs.
- Upload a current resume demonstrating your qualifications
- If you do not have internet access, you may visit your local public library or any WorkSource location and use their computers.
- Individuals needing accommodation in the application, testing process or need this job announcement in an alternative format may call Human Resources at (253) 798-7480, at least two days prior to the need.
This is a competitive selection process. Your application form will be reviewed and evaluated for the quality and quantity of education/experience in the areas listed. Applicants whose qualifications most closely correspond to the County’s needs will be eligible for further consideration. Notification of application status normally occurs 4 to 6 weeks after the closing date. Short notice may be given to applicants to participate in further selection processes which may include written, oral and performance examinations, and final interviews.
At Pierce County, diversity, equity, and inclusion means commitment, not a single step. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that supports equitable access to opportunities throughout your career. We want to recruit, develop, and maintain a talented workforce from various backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, and perspectives, committed to our vision. Employees of the County have local, direct, and visible impact in our diverse community. Will you join us in keeping Pierce County a great place to live, work, and raise a family?